• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
And the basic rate of tax was 34%
I vaguely remember I didn’t have two half pennies to shove into a 7% yielding account in those days so it’s all relative anyway.

Oldsmobile-88

And the basic rate of tax was 34%
Yes..I remember that,it was the 1st year I started working(November) at my apprenticeship on SW Gas.

Paid in cash every Thursday,seemed like a fortune at the time(£20) & Indeed it was for a young lad,when a pint of Trophy was 28p & a packet of 10 fags was 15p.😁...Savings rates ! 🤣..All spent by the following Monday 😎

Loved the Pink Panther after Final Score on Grandstand in those days.It seemed like a relaxing antidote if you had got stressed waiting for the results to come in on the Teleprinter.

Alistair20000

Yes..I remember that,it was the 1st year I started working(November) at my apprenticeship on SW Gas.

Paid in cash every Thursday,seemed like a fortune at the time(£20) & Indeed it was for a young lad,when a pint of Trophy was 28p & a packet of 10 fags was 15p.😁...Savings rates ! 🤣..All spent by the following Monday 😎

Loved the Pink Panther after Final Score on Grandstand in those days.It seemed like a relaxing antidote if you had got stressed waiting for the results to come in on the Teleprinter.
Did your parents charge you rent ? Assuming you were living at home of course.

Oldsmobile-88

Did your parents charge you rent ? Assuming you were living at home of course.
No,I was lucky they did not.
I was a college in Plymouth from Mon-Fri on bloc release for 25 weeks of the year.South West Gas put all the apprentices up in a small hotel(zero star rated 😁) during the week & provided half board.Wonderful days.
When I finished my apprenticeship in 1980 I paid ‘my keep’ at my parents house..£50 a month iirc.

LOG

Although i was familiar with the story thanks to a morbid interest in serial killers, i quite enjoyed, if that's the right word, Des although Tennant has a face that i don't think i'd tire of punching.

Alistair20000

No,I was lucky they did not.
I was a college in Plymouth from Mon-Fri on bloc release for 25 weeks of the year.South West Gas put all the apprentices up in a small hotel(zero star rated 😁) during the week & provided half board.Wonderful days.
When I finished my apprenticeship in 1980 I paid ‘my keep’ at my parents house..£50 a month iirc.
Monday to Friday in Britain's Ocean City seems a high price to pay for learning a skill. :eek:

Tim Long

Blimey , look at the yield on that Nationwide bond in post #1996.Mind you , inflation was running at 10%!
But the couple presumably glorying in that interest rate have accidentally glued their heads together. Possibly one of them was using too much lacquer.

Oldsmobile-88

Monday to Friday in Britain's Ocean City seems a high price to pay for learning a skill. :eek:
🤣🤣..It was a rough old city back then.We stayed in the St Judes area( near the bombed out church at Charles across)
The Hotel(!)had a bar.They were not that fussed that the vast majority of their guests were under 18,though you were only allowed 4 pints maximum 😁 A different world.
We were give 60p a night out of pocket expenses too😎

Great fun taking the pi55 out of the Janners at college when the Grecians beat them,which was a regular occurrence in those days.😁

DB9

Just finished watching 629 episodes of The Bill in UKTV Play, The number over 9 series have been really good and great seeing the original characters, Also so many actors from other shows seen today, From film and TV, When they were a lot younger plus actors who've been in one episode have turned up as new officers in later shows. The lot I've just watched was from 84 to 93, I'm hoping UKTV will be putting on more as time goes on.

Banksy

Just finished watching 629 episodes of The Bill in UKTV Play, The number over 9 series have been really good and great seeing the original characters, Also so many actors from other shows seen today, From film and TV, When they were a lot younger plus actors who've been in one episode have turned up as new officers in later shows. The lot I've just watched was from 84 to 93, I'm hoping UKTV will be putting on more as time goes on.
629 , that’s some number! How many hours did that take?