• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just reading on Wiki, The raid did minimal damage, Made a crator and was repaired within 24 hrs, May have been more of a physiological raid, Saying to the Argies we can hit you even from 10,000 miles, Bit like the US Dolittle raid of Tokyo a few months after Pearl Harbour?
Indeed Stanley was the only airfield on the Falklands where Argentine jet strike aircraft could be operated from. Whilst they would have expected it to come under attack from carrier based Sea Harriers it must have come as a shock to find it in range of a Vulcan. This restricted the Argentine Air Force to operating from the mainland with limited time over the Falklands. The naval equivalent was the sinking of the Belgrano which resulted in their Navy keeping "well out of the theatre of operations".

Oldsmobile-88

Indeed Stanley was the only airfield on the Falklands where Argentine jet strike aircraft could be operated from. Whilst they would have expected it to come under attack from carrier based Sea Harriers it must have come as a shock to find it in range of a Vulcan. This restricted the Argentine Air Force to operating from the mainland with limited time over the Falklands. The naval equivalent was the sinking of the Belgrano which resulted in their Navy keeping "well out of the theatre of operations".
After the General Belgrano was sunk, the threat of the Argentine Aircraft Carrier was neutralised, it was confined to home waters.

DB9

The Falklands War just got me thinking about the face of it on TV in the early days. Civil Servant Ian McDonald(1936-2019) who was the spokesman for the MOD. MY abiding memory of his appearance was the shocking news one evening that HMS Sheffield had been sunk by a Exocet Missile.

View attachment 13664
Imagine if it was now and Ian McDonald was doing the briefings etc, It would have been so different, Back then he gave the news from the South Atlantic in a very sullen, matter of fact way, Now, He would have been given media training etc and probably told to say it in such a way there would have been helplines plastered across the screen.

Oldsmobile-88

Imagine if it was now and Ian McDonald was doing the briefings etc, It would have been so different, Back then he gave the news from the South Atlantic in a very sullen, matter of fact way, Now, He would have been given media training etc and probably told to say it in such a way there would have been helplines plastered across the screen.
Iirc, there were no questions allowed. Just a statement of facts.

Yep, one can imagine the difference these days with media training

Reactions: DB9

iscalad

The Falklands War just got me thinking about the face of it on TV in the early days. Civil Servant Ian McDonald(1936-2019) who was the spokesman for the MOD. MY abiding memory of his appearance was the shocking news one evening that HMS Sheffield had been sunk by a Exocet Missile.

View attachment 13664
I believe he was a reluctant "star"

Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

I believe he was a reluctant "star"
Dreadful NHS specs (n)

Alistair20000

Iirc, there were no questions allowed. Just a statement of facts.

Yep, one can imagine the difference these days with media training
Yes about 10 minutes a night in a monotone and no questions.

No more “next slide please “

iscalad

Dreadful NHS specs (n)
Well. It was the 80s

Alistair20000

Well. It was the 80s
True but those he sported were more 60’s I think.

Oldsmobile-88

A look at a process long gone..The last functioning gas works was in Biggar, Scotland, which closed in 1977.