• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TV Times

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Uncle Eddie on Its A Knock Out and then the silly voices and accents in Secret Army. (y)

Oldsmobile-88

Uncle Eddie on Its A Knock Out and then the silly voices and accents in Secret Army. (y)
Bad man Stuart Halls howls of laughter.
The Arthur Ellis dipstick to measure the water.

Secret Army was a decent drama & hot on the heels of Colditz.
WW2 was only a generation & a half before so there was still plenty interest in that era from viewers who lived through it,i would imagine the writers & producers were thinking.
There was drama series that started in 1978 about the German occupation of the Channel Islands(Can’t think what it’s called now) which is having a airing on TPTV.

Rosencrantz

BBC 1. 21st September 1977.
A few gems.Ask Aspel(I would not have been back in time for that)
Nationwide always interesting with a few odd ball stories from across the BBC regions.
It’s a Knockout was box office at the time.Play the Joker for double points 😎
The fall & rise of Reggie Perrin with Leonard Rossiter.
Sportsnight featuring the recently deceased Alan Minter.
Sportsnight was THE programme for boxing in those days..Anyone remember Dave ‘boy’ Green & Johnny Owen who’s careers we followed on Sports night
Great entertainment without the nonsense we see on boxing tv events nowadays.
Not a bad evenings viewing I must say.
View attachment 3559View attachment 3560
I do miss Sportsnight and Midweek Sports Special. The seventies were a bit before my time but being European Champion was a real achievement back then and in the eighties before the proliferation of all the different world organisations and myriad belts on offer started.

I can very much recommend Steve Bunce's "Big Fat Short History of British Boxing". Covering from 1970 to 2018 year on year it's a great read for any boxing fans. I very much got to learn about those figures I was aware of, some vaguely, but before my time. Those you mention Dave "Boy" Green, Johnny Owen, Chris and Kevin Finnegan, John H Stracy, Jim Watt and the great Ken Buchanan and John Conteh.

DB9

The annual amateur boxing championship on Sportsnight was a real must view, Showing fight after fight think it was the only thing on the programme that night, Use to love watching that, Not even sure if it's televised nowadays.

Oldsmobile-88

I can very much recommend Steve Bunce's "Big Fat Short History of British Boxing". Covering from 1970 to 2018 year on year it's a great read for any boxing fans. I very much got to learn about those figures I was aware of, some vaguely, but before my time. Those you mention Dave "Boy" Green, Johnny Owen, Chris and Kevin Finnegan, John H Stracy, Jim Watt and the great Ken Buchanan and John Conteh.
That sounds a good read.

Johnny Owens story would make a good TV film.
Its exactly 40 years since that sad night when he was fatally injured in the ring.
The recording of the fight against Pintor was due to be shown on Sportsnight iirc but due to the nature of Owens injuries it was not shown..The ‘Matchstick Man’ never regained consciousness & died a couple of months later.Such a tragedy..

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Bad man Stuart Halls howls of laughter.
The Arthur Ellis dipstick to measure the water.

Secret Army was a decent drama & hot on the heels of Colditz.
WW2 was only a generation & a half before so there was still plenty interest in that era from viewers who lived through it,i would imagine the writers & producers were thinking.
There was drama series that started in 1978 about the German occupation of the Channel Islands(Can’t think what it’s called now) which is having a airing on TPTV.
Enemy At The Door is the CI WWII series currently on TPTV. It was about the Nazi occupation of Guernsey.

I liked Secret Army but some of the accents were terrible and the sets awful. I recall Bernard Hepton leaning on a supposed concrete wall in a bunker which immediately started to wobble.

Still those daft accents opened the door to ‘Allo ‘Allo

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've mentioned this before, I think, but I was working in Edinburgh in 1979, the year Jim Watt won the world lightweight title. Somebody told me that the TV commentator came out with: "This is a great night for Scottish football!"

Mr Jinx

I look back at It's a Knockout with fond memories.

I remember the UK ones were a bit rubbish and the European ones (Jeux Sans Frontiers) were where it was at. Stuart Hall had all stereotypes on the table and iirc, the GB team only won it a couple of times over the number of years I watched it. And that laugh...it never escapes you.

DB9

I look back at It's a Knockout with fond memories.

I remember the UK ones were a bit rubbish and the European ones (Jeux Sans Frontiers) were where it was at. Stuart Hall had all stereotypes on the table and iirc, the GB team only won it a couple of times over the number of years I watched it. And that laugh...it never escapes you.
The penguins trying to catch water, Hall was a total mess because of laughing, Just so funny to watch and listen.

Oldsmobile-88

Tenuous link to Its a Knockout..My late auntie was in the Exmouth team that competed in Switzerland in 1970 or 71.