• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Trust AGM

Reposted from the Tagg thread as I think this sits better here..

Is there actually any point in somebody putting themselves up for election to the Trust Board as in would you be able to make any difference to the club or would it end up just being a massive time drain without any rewards as in that the malaise at the club and its business management is such that it would be a complete waste of somebodies valuable time? Serious question and not trolling or anything like that. :)

Last edited:

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster

Is there actually any point in somebody putting themselves up for election to the Trust Board as in would you be able to make any difference to the club or would it end up just being a massive time drain without any rewards as in that the malaise at the club and its business management is such that it would be a complete waste of somebodies valuable time? Serious question and not trolling or anything like that. :)
Well, you can't make any changes outside the Trust Board, so why not give it a go. If it seems to you to be a waste of time, you can make a statement by resigning.

David Treharne

The last few years has show that the Trust memberships seems to go into the clubs black hole. Hopefully this will change,i`m not holding my breathe.UTC.
I think this indicates just how poor the Trust has become at flagging up what it does. Appeals like "Light up the Park" provided a new (second-hand) set of lights for SJP without having to divert money from other sources, and it has consolidated it's financial position after a series of loans to the Club necessary because of their poor stewardship- despite their attempts to hide behind excuses like cancelled matches. Unlike the Club itself, financial information about the Trust is always made publicly available at the A.G.M (note the change of venue this year) and it's possible to see exactly what has been spent on what. Looking in from the outside it also seems that the Trust is prepared to take a much firmer line with the Club over expenditure than had been the case during the pre-2014 changes. Unfortunately the publicity surrounding this and other initiatives is often well hidden -or not transmitted to a wider public - let alone its own membership (which is, incidentally growing again at the moment). Change will only come quicker if there is an infusion of new Trustees at this forthcoming election.
I'm not solely an apologist for the Trust - it has many defects - but its actions and activities are poorly served in the wider media hubbub.

Number13

How many meetings would a Board Member attend?
Are they always before Home games?
Is there any recompense for travel?

Just initial questions. Am really keen to step in and sort this mess out but the above may stop this

Pete Martin (CTID)

Just initial questions. Am really keen to step in and sort this mess out but the above may stop this
*Meetings are generally every 6 to 8 weeks. A lot of the work these days is done in sub groups and you would be encouraged to contribute to at least one of those. There is a recognition that not everyone can attend every meeting.

*Meetings (other than the AGM) are usually held in the evenings (startin 6-6.30pm). They are not held before home games.

*There is no recompense for travelling. We have one Trustee who travels from London, and officers that travel from Bristol and North Devon. Not so long ago one Trustee travelled from Wellingborough in Northants. Our Chairman lives in North Devon. None of these (afaik) have ever claimed a bean for travelling

Last edited:

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe nlm claims half costs for his travel from London - he was certainly planning to do so when standing for election.

I never claimed - my finances and holidays usage improved once I stopped doing half days to travel down from work then stay over in a lodge on the way back.

Advice from one who stood before - have a clear set of goals and push for them - plenty of people will tell you it can't be done..and try not to go into a bunker mentality.

Given I'm still 200 miles away, I won't be looking to get re involved while that occurs..

malcolms

Not sure you can be taken seriously if..

1. You are not keen on attending meetings

2. If you attend they have to be at times convenient to you (before a game)

3. You want repaying....

Pete Martin (CTID)

ExeterCitysRealDeal View Post

Well, you can't make any changes outside the Trust Board, so why not give it a go. If it seems to you to be a waste of time, you can make a statement by resigning.
Seriously, if everyone held that opinion then the Trust would be no more. As I've already said, if you're not happy with the way things are then come in and fight for what you believe in. Change doesn't occur by magic.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Seriously, if everyone held that opinion then the Trust would be no more. As I've already said, if you're not happy with the way things are then come in and fight for what you believe in. Change doesn't occur by magic.
I might be wrong Pete, but I suspect that some people might think this is a long winded way of trying to deal with a very serious problem that needs addressing now. Only Overend and the existing board can do that, assuming they agree that a Tagg/Tisdale removal program is top priority. I'm not seing a lot thus far to suggest they're keen to tackle what would be an extremely difficult project.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
I might be wrong Pete, but I suspect that some people might think this is a long winded way of trying to deal with a very serious problem that needs addressing now. Only Overend and the existing board can do that, assuming they agree that a Tagg/Tisdale removal program is top priority. I'm not seing a lot thus far to suggest they're keen to tackle what would be an extremely difficult project.
Pete, contrary to popular belief, the trust elections aren't going to solely focus on the, seeming, only issue in your Exeweb life. (Goalkeeping seems to have been waylaid)