• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
When does his contract expire ? This summer or next ??

jimbo-gould

When does his contract expire ? This summer or next ??
The Athletic article says it expires at the end of the season. Quite how we could demand a certain fee if that is the case, I'm not sure.

Does anyone know if Scottish clubs are able sign a player on a pre-contract from English teams?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Obviously Celtic are a massive club and it would be a great move for him, but the thing is it leaves very little room for improvement. Due to the standard of the Scottish League, top teams in England would be unwilling to take a risk on him, even if he does do well, whereas it would be much easier to get a move to a premier league team (maybe even a top 6 team) if he was already doing well in the championship.
Oh I don't know, a move to Celtic worked out OK for Virgil Van Dijk

Corey

Oh I don't know, a move to Celtic worked out OK for Virgil Van Dijk
Also many examples of players it didn’t work out so well for...

sidney

If anyone comes in with £1.5 million, then City will sell, no doubt. And quite right too, provided there is a sell-on clause. My feeling is that Randall has the skills and instinct to thrive at a higher level. Scottish football, which can be frantic and a bit kick-and-rush, might suit him less well than playing in a footballing side like Swansea in the Championship. A Championship club, or even one of the well-funded 'big' teams in League 1, is the right destination, given his lack of games. He must play to improve.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
If anyone comes in with £1.5 million, then City will sell, no doubt. And quite right too, provided there is a sell-on clause. My feeling is that Randall has the skills and instinct to thrive at a higher level. Scottish football, which can be frantic and a bit kick-and-rush, might suit him less well than playing in a footballing side like Swansea in the Championship. A Championship club, or even one of the well-funded 'big' teams in League 1, is the right destination, given his lack of games. He must play to improve.
Hope that Joeller follows a similar route to Olly in that he waits for the right pathway turns up eg the now 'tested' Brentford / Villa so that we get more £.
Would also be great if X academy players became Trust members to pay back our investment in their success.
Overall I really hope that we hang on to Joeller this season because he is / will be an important player in the run in.
UTC

jimbo-gould

Obviously Celtic are a massive club and it would be a great move for him, but the thing is it leaves very little room for improvement. Due to the standard of the Scottish League, top teams in England would be unwilling to take a risk on him, even if he does do well, whereas it would be much easier to get a move to a premier league team (maybe even a top 6 team) if he was already doing well in the championship.
Van Dijk and Wanyama to Southampton, Larsson on loan to Man United and Barcelona. There are plenty of others, but these sprung to mind first. If you shine for Celtic you are generally linked elsewhere, be it the Premier League or Europe.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Van Dijk and Wanyama to Southampton, Larsson on loan to Man United and Barcelona. There are plenty of others, but these sprung to mind first. If you shine for Celtic you are generally linked elsewhere, be it the Premier League or Europe.
Much as I like Joel, not sure his 'back catalogue' is comparable to Larsson's!

jimbo-gould

Much as I like Joel, not sure his 'back catalogue' is comparable to Larsson's!
I’m with you there. More making the point that Celtic is anything but a dead end move.

newcastlered

Exactly. Much as it'd be a shame to see him go, it’d be a good personal move for him and he’d fit in at an attacking side like that. From what I can tell, Celtic have done pretty well in recent years at becoming a spring-board for young players, letting them gain experience of playing at a big club/in Europe prior to a move to the Premier League. Kieran Tierney the latest to move last season and he's doing very well. Ideally we could hold on to him until summer though (contract permitting).