• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Transfer Rumours 2020/21

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
We need 7/8 New signings to improve the quality and depth of the squad .
But now after MT‘s post match u-turn looks like we’re be lucky
if we get 3 or 4.
Not what we wanted to hear after yesterdays match.
I'd say 3 or 4 would be enough if fit, not carrying serious injuries, not old fogeys, and have the proven quality you'd expect
for a team which we want to be in Div 1 after one more season. We don't want journeymen or blokes to make up the numbers and permanently warm the bench.
No false economies!

grecIAN Harris

Not a very responsible approach, if one of them gets crocked you're up the swanny. He needs to build a full squad not a five-a-side team.
That depends on how many players are released in the first place.If he only releases two or three then he only has two replace two or three. It also depends on how many of the kids coming through he thinks are ready for the first team. For example, I can see Kite stepping up next season into a far greater role than he had this.

Red Monster

I'd say 3 or 4 would be enough if fit, not carrying serious injuries, not old fogeys, and have the proven quality you'd expect
for a team which we want to be in Div 1 after one more season. We don't want journeymen or blokes to make up the numbers and permanently warm the bench.
No false economies!
Well I suppose it depends on how many players leave .
Ajose,Fisher,Parkes and Ward .
Maxted ?
Williams?
Taylor ?
Bowman ?
Page ?

if we don’t get Jokull back on loan we will need two keepers
same with strikers and midfield and probably a new left back !!
Also if Williams goes a winger .

I agree Mike no Journeymen .

Red Devon

Would like to see our “top line“ players go up in numbers rather than just adding depth to the squad...Randall, Key, MJ, Jökull have all been what I’d call top line other than that it’s all a much of a muchness, last season Law, Williams and Aaron Martin would have been included in the list...three or four top liners added with Key etc and we’d have a “serious” team to watch next season.

C j phill

Maybe he's spending a lot of money on a few quality signings.......... just a thought.🤔. A less us more approach..........
But he also suggested that part of this season's problems was the lack of squad size, with the consequence that he couldn't rest players such as Collins. If he gets fewer players in, albeit better quality on higher wages, were no better off physically than the season just ended.

He needs to get his script in order before talking to the press/giving Club interviews to avoid either raising expectations incorrectly, or giving supporters the opportunity to question his conflicting comments.

Banksy

He needs to get his script in order before talking to the press/giving Club interviews to avoid either raising expectations incorrectly, or giving supporters the opportunity to question his conflicting comments.
Absolutely right.

grecIAN Harris

Until the retained list comes out it will all be as clear as mud. Everything before hand be speculation. The only person who knows is Matt.

raleighnc

How can MT come out and say we are going to have a big budget and then 2 weeks later say we can't afford many signings?

That is rank bad management.
And you’re surprised?

Grecianpasty

But he also suggested that part of this season's problems was the lack of squad size, with the consequence that he couldn't rest players such as Collins. If he gets fewer players in, albeit better quality on higher wages, were no better off physically than the season just ended.

I found it very interesting that MT would show his hand like that, saying there was money to spend. I think by MT telling the media, it's pressure for the board to follow through with their promise.

Whatever way you look at it next year will define MT's future at city. I'd even go as far to say if we don't get promoted he's out the door.

Rosencrantz

When Matt says it won't be wholesale changes I take it to mean double figure changes like we have seen at many L2 clubs this season, there is a useful chart hanging around on one of these threads somewhere. Anyone going out will need to be replaced, but with better quality.

He clearly said he wanted to build around the younger players so they will still be in the squad plus one or two more like Kite coming through into the first team squad. I can't see every senior player going. So you end up replenishing the squad, but with better quality which will cost more than what is going out within the increased budget.

It stands to reason that we haven't been quite there this season, but also not far off. So the need is for evolution with better quality rather than rip it up and start again.