• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tranmere - Easter Monday

Arthur Davey

They've always booked extra coaches if the demand was there before and have booked a further coach for Northampton so I'd be very surprised if they didn't do the same for Tranmere.
That's as maybe, Mike, but that's how it was when I messaged John again yesterday - extra booked for Northampton (so he booked me places), but not Tranmere 😏😞
Btw, I've got a PSV licence (so long as 'tdn' a double-decker), so if KMT doesn't want Kentucky again Monday...😉

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
One thought that occurs. The roads are likely to be extra busy on Easter Monday with returning grockles (especially if the weekend weather is shoite encouraging early escape back oop norf).

Hope KMT (and the coach company) have factored that into their journey planning - you can have 10 coach drivers on boards but they cant do diddley-squat if they're caught in a 50 mile jam.

Incidentally I do recall an instance a few seasons back when the Turkeys (remember them??? :ROFLMAO: ) got caught up in a ten hour closure just before the Avonmouth bridge. There were photos of them in the media trying to do some "training" in the (also closed-off) southbound carriageway just to try and keep supple.

paperclip

One thought that occurs. The roads are likely to be extra busy on Easter Monday with returning grockles (especially if the weekend weather is shoite encouraging early escape back oop norf).

Hope KMT (and the coach company) have factored that into their journey planning - you can have 10 coach drivers on boards but they cant do diddley-squat if they're caught in a 50 mile jam.

Incidentally I do recall an instance a few seasons back when the Turkeys (remember them??? :ROFLMAO: ) got caught up in a ten hour closure just before the Avonmouth bridge. There were photos of them in the media trying to do some "training" in the (also closed-off) southbound carriageway just to try and keep supple.
I would be amazed if the team travel to Tranmere on Monday morning, surely much more likely to travel most of the way up on Sunday when the roads will undoubtedly be quieter, stay over somewhere and then finish the trip to Prenton Park Monday lunchtime?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's as maybe, Mike, but that's how it was when I messaged John again yesterday - extra booked for Northampton (so he booked me places), but not Tranmere 😏😞
Btw, I've got a PSV licence (so long as 'tdn' a double-decker), so if KMT doesn't want Kentucky again Monday...😉
Go "Coachie" Arthur - you deserve a free season ticket for offering your services IMHO.
PS It seems like we have returned to pre 2003 when we didn't have a penny - with the latest Olliemoney via England and the need to ensure our players are in fine mettle it seems a bit of a joke that we can't seemingly afford a 2nd driver.

Spoonz Red E

From what Matt said post match the 2 drivers issue was only a factor because the traffic delays meant they had to take a 45 minute break at 6.30pm.
The second break would have been needed because once journey had resumed after the planned break at Birmingham they had been on the coach for a further 4.5hours (45mins required per 4.5 hours).
I read the comment as Exeter City 'can't afford 2 drivers' because for trips with an over night stay - even to Carlisle - you wouldn't normally expect more than 9 hours driving time or a leg of more than 4.5 hours on the one way journey.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
From what Matt said post match the 2 drivers issue was only a factor because the traffic delays meant they had to take a 45 minute break at 6.30pm.
The second break would have been needed because once journey had resumed after the planned break at Birmingham they had been on the coach for a further 4.5hours (45mins required per 4.5 hours).
I read the comment as Exeter City 'can't afford 2 drivers' because for trips with an over night stay - even to Carlisle - you wouldn't normally expect more than 9 hours driving time or a leg of more than 4.5 hours on the one way journey.
When you need to make sure the players are at their best at such a vital time you need to have a Plan B IMHO.

Spoonz Red E

When you need to make sure the players are at their best at such a vital time you need to have a Plan B IMHO.
Not disagreeing with that - which is why Matt accepted some responsibilty.
I think travel to games is part of his budget.

What I was getting at is that a club at our level wouldn't factor in 2 drivers as a matter of course and were caught out by events.

Bridgy 81

Not disagreeing with that - which is why Matt accepted some responsibilty.
I think travel to games is part of his budget.

What I was getting at is that a club at our level wouldn't factor in 2 drivers as a matter of course and were caught out by events.
Understood.
But what about if the single driver becomes indisposed (unwell or some other reason) or as things stand tests COVID positive?
Just seems to me, although I appreciate at a cost, it’s taking a bit of a chance especially at this time of the season.

Oldsmobile-88

553 advance sold so far.

Boyo

Understood.
But what about if the single driver becomes indisposed (unwell or some other reason) or as things stand tests COVID positive?
Just seems to me, although I appreciate at a cost, it’s taking a bit of a chance especially at this time of the season.
I think the substantive problem was traffic, which meant they had to pull into the services. That would have happened regardless of whether a second driver was on board (they would have had to pull in to change drivers). If they had had a second driver on board, they would have had the choice of stretching legs and food at the services, or staying on the coach for another couple of hours and eating much later at the hotel. I think the story was a little sensationalised, personally. The lack of driver caused them to be delayed for 45mins, whereas the traffic caused many hours of delay.