• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tranmere - Easter Monday

Ex-ciderrr

tranmere is becoming ever so appealing however it will be a last minute decision. fingers crossed UTC

Boyo

At Carlisle I bumped into Nick Hawker, I asked the question why the club have not advertised away travel for Tranmere and done a deal with the local businesses, used some Trust money in reserve, or found some Corporate sponsors to help subsidies away coaches, to take the edge off the costs for the last two away games. As we were travelling back one of my group pointed out that the EDGs have almost taken over the away travel, running double decker vehicles to matches recently. The reaction Nick gave me was a shrug of the shoulders and it would be hard to organise. I also raised the idea to the media team around a week ago. With poor rail services and the busy roads I would guess away travel on a coach may be a more popular option. The cost of the fares could be mitigated by the corporate sponsor element. I am meeting the Directors at Colchester match by invitation and I will be raising these points.

I also understood from multiple sources that the reason why Northampton tickets were delayed was down to the new ticket manager, who felt we would struggle to sell tickets for Northampton and Tranmere. Once the Cobblers sold out, they did not ask for more for some days. I understand a well known fan called Cobblers to ask whether more tickets were available, they told there were subject to our club asking! So come on City, we make revenue on away ticket sales, we un the risk of losing around £1k each promotion run in away day. Every little helps. As for expectations and planning at the club, raise your bar ECFC. This is a potential once in a decade opportunity, don't lose it. Next year if we went up, our away coaches need to be pushed more....potentially Derby, Sunderland, Ipswich, Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday to name a few. Let go through history:

Lincoln away - 24 coaches 1990
Hereford away - 13 coaches 1990
Don Valley - Rotherham 2700 fans
Leeds - 2800 city fans

If we don't smash out between 1200-2500 to Tranmere to push the team over the line, we need to look at how we promote our club. This is not a dig at the social media team, It is aimed at the leadership team making strategic decisions. people will blame time - they had two weeks to organise coaches. It surely is 30 minute team call. The idea was mooted a week ago.

See you at them all! UTC TVR
Alistair, we all know you have the best intentions and the club at heart, but your thinking is based on a series of assumptions that are wide of the mark.

Your logic is that we haven’t sold more tickets because people are not aware of coach travel to Tranmere. Well Grecian Travel is advertised on the Tranmere ticket page (just like it is for all away games). Plus any football fan with half a brain will know that official coach travel to away matches is a possible travel option.

You also assume that corporate sponsorship will make the cost more palatable and have kindly offered to stump up £250. Assuming a 50 seater coach, that would subsidise the cost by £5 per person. It would still cost £34, plus £19 match ticket, plus maybe a bite to eat and a drink somewhere. Will saving a fiver really entice someone who didn’t intend to go to suddenly fork out £60-£70? What’s in it for the sponsor? What’s in it for the club?

You also assume that because coach travel was popular in 1990 it must be popular today. Well it’s not. Personal vehicles are significantly more reliable than 32 years ago and much more comfortable. It’s quicker, more flexible and more cost effective if there’s at least two of you, despite rising fuel costs to travel, in a personal car.

Coach travel is viewed by many as a last resort, rather than a preference.

The single thing that will have by far the biggest impact in people’s decision as to whether to go to Tranmere on Easter Monday, is the result vs Colchester on Friday.

lamrobhero

Coach travel seems to be an area run by the fans. Providing that the volunteers that run it are happy lets keep it that way.

REDMIKE

At Carlisle I bumped into Nick Hawker, I asked the question why the club have not advertised away travel for Tranmere and done a deal with the local businesses, used some Trust money in reserve, or found some Corporate sponsors to help subsidies away coaches, to take the edge off the costs for the last two away games. As we were travelling back one of my group pointed out that the EDGs have almost taken over the away travel, running double decker vehicles to matches recently. The reaction Nick gave me was a shrug of the shoulders and it would be hard to organise. I also raised the idea to the media team around a week ago. With poor rail services and the busy roads I would guess away travel on a coach may be a more popular option. The cost of the fares could be mitigated by the corporate sponsor element. I am meeting the Directors at Colchester match by invitation and I will be raising these points.

I also understood from multiple sources that the reason why Northampton tickets were delayed was down to the new ticket manager, who felt we would struggle to sell tickets for Northampton and Tranmere. Once the Cobblers sold out, they did not ask for more for some days. I understand a well known fan called Cobblers to ask whether more tickets were available, they told there were subject to our club asking! So come on City, we make revenue on away ticket sales, we un the risk of losing around £1k each promotion run in away day. Every little helps. As for expectations and planning at the club, raise your bar ECFC. This is a potential once in a decade opportunity, don't lose it. Next year if we went up, our away coaches need to be pushed more....potentially Derby, Sunderland, Ipswich, Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday to name a few. Let go through history:

Leeds - 2800 city fans

If we don't smash out between 1200-2500 to Tranmere to push the team over the line, we need to look at how we promote our club. This is not a dig at the social media team, It is aimed at the leadership team making strategic decisions. people will blame time - they had two weeks to organise coaches. It surely is 30 minute team call. The idea was mooted a week ago.

REDMIKE

Leeds - 2800 city fans

Arthur Davey

Both Grecian Travel and EDG fully booked for Tranmere away, are any other coaches running? Please let me know
Same here:
if anyone driving to & fro' has got a couple of spaces for me & the buay - share fuel cost - or knows of any other coaches running, plz wld let us know? Cheers.

Boyo

Same here:
if anyone driving to & fro' has got a couple of spaces for me & the buay - share fuel cost - or knows of any other coaches running, plz wld let us know? Cheers.
If it's true that Grecian Travel is fully booked and is turning people away, then that's wrong (unless sourcing extra coaches is too difficult). It's reasonable to assume that should results go our way on Friday, there will be a surge in demand for Tranny tickets.

Arthur Davey

If it's true that Grecian Travel is fully booked and is turning people away, then that's wrong (unless sourcing extra coaches is too difficult). It's reasonable to assume that should results go our way on Friday, there will be a surge in demand for Tranny tickets.
Yep, sadly can't help but feel the same 😞
Personal situation compounded by my own vehicle issues 😤😑

Arthur Davey

Both Grecian Travel and EDG fully booked for Tranmere away, are any other coaches running? Please let me know
If I can get a vehicle sorted then I'd drive & happily take a couple of passengers in exchange for contribution to fuel...

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
They've always booked extra coaches if the demand was there before and have booked a further coach for Northampton so I'd be very surprised if they didn't do the same for Tranmere.