• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Totally "What If" happens and worst case scenario

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I've been thinking with football not knowing when fans are going to be let in so clubs can some money (restricted attendences won't be a long term solution) With regards to our beloved City what if we have no money for an extended period of time and any Watkins money or other sold players sell on clauses were not in the offing and the worse came to the worse and we had to apply to go into admin purely due to having no money (Also no one person to dig into their pockets) what would happen? The Trust who run the club would have to hand it over to administrators and they would try to sell the club and any assets to pay off the mounting debts, As a fans owned club who would be there to rescue us, The Trust can't as they are the owners, People on here do not want any one person owning it, Also the size of our fan base it would be highly unlikely to raise the funds to save the club, Go to the EFL and say we can make sure we fulfill our fixtures/season, Would they accept that? Also if this did happen there would be ill feeling i think towards the Trust for getting us to this position.

Please, Please, Please, This is a purely "What If" scenario in a nightmare world but when I've seen Martin Lawrence saying quite rightly there is no money for obvious reasons and we honestly don't know what the future holds for lower league football at the moment because no one, EFL/PL/FA seem to be talking about the bottom two divisions we are really on our own i think.

dontpassback

tough times ahead for a lot of clubs,will it affect us,certainly,but in what capacity who knows,we will just have to roll with it !

Rosencrantz

We would be in the same situation any club would be in if we went into administration. The administrators would look for prospective buyers, what any fans wanted would be irrelevant, and they would also have to decide if there was money to guarantee the EFL we could operate until a buyer comes in. What the EFL decides would entirely depend on if the administers could satisfy them.

As to ill feeling towards the Trust, there normally is in normal times from some so I doubt it will be 100% sympathy. But I feel the club has obviously made cutbacks, so in your scenario of no further windfall from Ollie, it will depend on what further cuts and savings could be made. If the doomsday scenario occurs I am not sure how much more can be done if the bank account is empty. But there will always be a few who will find complaints.

DB9

We would be in the same situation any club would be in if we went into administration. The administrators would look for prospective buyers, what any fans wanted would be irrelevant, and they would also have to decide if there was money to guarantee the EFL we could operate until a buyer comes in. What the EFL decides would entirely depend on if the administers could satisfy them.

As to ill feeling towards the Trust, there normally is in normal times from some so I doubt it will be 100% sympathy. But I feel the club has obviously made cutbacks, so in your scenario of no further windfall from Ollie, it will depend on what further cuts and savings could be made. If the doomsday scenario occurs I am not sure how much more can be done if the bank account is empty. But there will always be a few who will find complaints.
When thinking about this, Other clubs who are owned by one person or a company, Often it is the fans who step in but as we're fans owned already, Who would step in?

tavyred

We could see the widespread use of crowd funding to keep clubs afloat.

DB9

We could see the widespread use of crowd funding to keep clubs afloat.
Might work with clubs with bigger fan bases but just relying on Joe Public they'd soon get tired of it.

Fareham Grecian

I've been thinking with football not knowing when fans are going to be let in so clubs can some money (restricted attendences won't be a long term solution) With regards to our beloved City what if we have no money for an extended period of time and any Watkins money or other sold players sell on clauses were not in the offing and the worse came to the worse and we had to apply to go into admin purely due to having no money (Also no one person to dig into their pockets) what would happen? The Trust who run the club would have to hand it over to administrators and they would try to sell the club and any assets to pay off the mounting debts, As a fans owned club who would be there to rescue us, The Trust can't as they are the owners, People on here do not want any one person owning it, Also the size of our fan base it would be highly unlikely to raise the funds to save the club, Go to the EFL and say we can make sure we fulfill our fixtures/season, Would they accept that? Also if this did happen there would be ill feeling i think towards the Trust for getting us to this position.
Jesus, take a breath!

We had £2m in the bank - cos we are a sensibly, sustainably run club owned by the fans. We haven’t spaffed the (original) Watkins money up the wall.
So, without any windfalls, we will survive this season at least.

The estimate is that we have lost £500k so far from covid, assuming the darned useless EFL don’t support us. So the Chrisene money covers that loss.

If fans are not allowed back in this season (which I think is fairly likely, despite the government's posturing) we will still be here, and solvent. How many other clubs in any division can say that?

DB9

Jesus, take a breath!

We had £2m in the bank - cos we are a sensibly, sustainably run club owned by the fans. We haven’t spaffed the (original) Watkins money up the wall.
So, without any windfalls, we will survive this season at least.

The estimate is that we have lost £500k so far from covid, assuming the darned useless EFL don’t support us. So the Chrisene money covers that loss.

If fans are not allowed back in this season (which I think is fairly likely, despite the government's posturing) we will still be here, and solvent. How many other clubs in any division can say that?
Had is the word, We are not immune from this at all and to think we are is IMO not sensible. Anyway this as I originally said is a "What If" scenario.

Fareham Grecian

Had is the word, We are not immune from this at all and to think we are is IMO not sensible. Anyway this as I originally said is a "What If" scenario.
I didn’t say we were immune from anything, I am just trying to point out that we now have as much money as we had before covid struck - and we are in a far better place than most clubs

DB9

I didn’t say we were immune from anything, I am just trying to point out that we now have as much money as we had before covid struck - and we are in a far better place than most clubs
And I wrote this thread asking what if we didn't have any real money available to cushion the blow.