• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Too many average midfielders.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well the central midfield was poor/ disappointing yesterday.

But what about City’s defence? Four competitive games - conceded two goals in each of all four games. We are not going to win many games if we have to score three to do so.
Exactly, Taylor's teams have largely been built on keeping clean sheets, as things stand we won't keep many this season, this has been obvious for quite a while.

For me the jury is out on McCardle and whilst Dean looks decent on the eye with his passing and composure he lacks pace and physical presence to be a centre back, you generally need one or the other to be a good centre back. I'd play Dean as a holding midfielder if I played him.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Midfield neat and tidy but no power and pace.. Chances go begging. Next home game v Cambridge, who have scored 8 goals in 2 league games. Another serious test
But, it's still early days and we can improve....

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The spine of our side is a concern.

Centre backs ??

Central midfield ??

Bowman without a goal this season

Not great if you look at it like this.

Grecianpasty

In terms of our defense I see a lot more longevity in Parkes and hartidge as a pairing next to McArdle and Dean.

Red Devon

The spine of our side is a concern.

Centre backs ??

Central midfield ??

Bowman without a goal this season

Not great if you look at it like this.
Difficult as you say, an unsettled side chopping and changing personal every other week wouldn’t do anyone any favours....MT mentioned post match yesterday that Ryan Bowman needs to start scoring goals if he wants to keep his place in the team.

Antony Moxey

The problem isn’t the average midfielders, it’s the undroppable below average one that’s taking the place of a proper footballer.

older-codger

I would move Dean as a defensive midfielder, replacing Atangana, with Parkes at CB. Caprice, when he is fit, coming in at right back and Key replacing Taylor.

JCWhoosh

Difficult as you say, an unsettled side chopping and changing personal every other week wouldn’t do anyone any favours....MT mentioned post match yesterday that Ryan Bowman needs to start scoring goals if he wants to keep his place in the team.
That was a big statement to make from MT, publicly saying strikers (aka Bowman) need to score to stay in the team. We don't have a lot of depth to replace them from the bench that screams goals though. I feel more goals need to be shared from midfield but can't see anyone getting double figures from what I've seen so far.

IndoMike

That was a big statement to make from MT, publicly saying strikers (aka Bowman) need to score to stay in the team. We don't have a lot of depth to replace them from the bench that screams goals though. I feel more goals need to be shared from midfield but can't see anyone getting double figures from what I've seen so far.
It's a bit of an unfair comment. Matt knew what he was getting when he signed Bowman : a hard worker who can sometimes upset defenders but who is not a prolific goalscorer. I don't think Bowman can do any more than he is: he's not going to turn into Alan Shearer overnight
Matt needs to be a bit more introspective and sort out what needs sorting out.
Having said that : our midfield and attack is the same as last season when we nearly finished in the autos. Think we should wait until after game 10 before we get too iffy

Banksy

But what do we do after game ten? Got to bite the bullet soon before the pack pulls away too far.
Unless we’re prepared to accept fighting in the bottom half and dicing with the bottom for a change.
Because for various reasons this squad isn’t quite good enough.
However , with just a few tweaks......