• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tony Blair buys ninth home

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
Never a big fan but plenty of admiration for him today with his honesty about his failings.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's almost like the majority of politicians are self serving c*nts.
Aren't people self-serving c*nts though? Modern politics is a product of our own selfishness.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Your not getting away with that one, quotes of my previous ramblings re. Iraq and Mosques are needed to back up your scurrilous claims of inconsistency!
You said, and I quote "I believe in self reliance, taking personal responsibility for myself and family and am in favour of a small state which only interferes in a citizens life when they are in need of support."

I replied with "So, on this basis, your personal view is one that would like the "mosque" at ground zero to be built, as it's a lawful right for it to be built. You would also agree, that any war in Iraq, is illegal, and therefore wrong."

I said this, as a person, like yourself, that believes in less interference in a citizens life. These are issues that do not require interference from Government, therefore, are not necessary to our lives as free citizens, thus, as they are not favourable to the state in which you desire, they are therefore unnecessary.

I hope this clears up any potential misunderstanding.

angelic upstart

Aren't people self-serving c*nts though? Modern politics is a product of our own selfishness.
Or maybe modern politics made us self serving c*nts.

Nature or nurture innit :)

Mr Jinx

From the snippets I caught about Blair's book yesterday, I loved his openess especially the bit about Bush's astonishment over a Belgian "running" Europe.

But Tone gets it very wrong as to why Labour lost the last election. The voters couldn't care if Labour had become less New Labour. I'm thinking what mattered more was the complete pigs ear they'd made of immigration and the economy on top of a lack of faith in Gordon the Gaffe.

He does comes across a bit spineless in his inability to deal with the ever tempestuous Brown. Thatcher would have sent Gordy to Siberia at the very first whiff of dissent and been more than ready to crush the subsequent rebellion.

Last edited:

finetime

Possibly, although they have more influence than I do!

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I'm thinking what mattered more was the complete pigs ear they'd made of immigration and the economy on top of a lack of faith in Gordon the Gaffe.
If the Tories end up being much tougher on immigration I shall purchase and devour one hat. Sorry to burst your little Daily Mail bubble, but immigration really isn't THAT rampant in this country, at least in comparison to similar countries, and brings with it a wealth of cultural and economic benefits.

Labour lost for 3 reasons - they were in power for 3 terms, people felt resentment for having an unelected PM and (primarily) the economy went down the tubes. End of.

Mr Jinx

If the Tories end up being much tougher on immigration I shall purchase and devour one hat. Sorry to burst your little Daily Mail bubble, but immigration really isn't THAT rampant in this country, at least in comparison to similar countries, and brings with it a wealth of cultural and economic benefits.

Labour lost for 3 reasons - they were in power for 3 terms, people felt resentment for having an unelected PM and (primarily) the economy went down the tubes. End of.
Fair enough, you have your view. But if you ask a middle England Labour doorstepper from the last election what people's 3 main gripes were, immigration will be in there.

angelic upstart

Sorry to burst your little Daily Mail bubble, but immigration really isn't THAT rampant in this country, at least in comparison to similar countries, and brings with it a wealth of cultural and economic benefits.
Some interesting stats here - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_net_mig_percap-immigration-net-migration-per-capita

That's people leaving the UK

Asylum seekers - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_ref_pop_by_cou_or_ter_of_asy_percap-country-territory-asylum-per-capita

New citizenships - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_new_cit_percap-immigration-new-citizenships-per-capita

Foreign population - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_for_pop_inf_percap-foreign-population-inflow-per-capita

and finally, total immigration - http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/imm_imm_pop_per_of_tot_num_of_imm_in_the_wor-percentage-total-number-immigrants-world

angelic upstart

Fair enough, you have your view. But if you ask a middle England Labour doorstepper from the last election what people's 3 main gripes were, immigration will be in there.
That's your view, but do you have proof of this, or are basing the theory on a theory that middle England reads the Daily Mail?