• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Today - Best City Commentary I've ever heard.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Back to the this pair didn't he also refer to MJ as thinking of him being lighweiht -Tw*t

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Back to the this pair didn't he also refer to MJ as thinking of him being lighweiht -Tw*t
Gee, if you say so ! 😎

ryancooper327

Id happily do it for free, can watch the match too!

andrew p long

Would be interesting to see what kind of response you get to your email. Unfortunately it's the football club and not Radio Devon that will be impacted by fans (myself included) not paying for future iFollow passes if the standard of commentaries continues to be as inane as it was on Tuesday night. Fingers crossed RD realise how poor their output was and take remedial action...
This for me was the most important point - it is the club (and EFL) providing the service and getting the income.

I'm a paying customer, who has spent £70 in each of the last three months on I-follow. More importantly that's the only match day income the club are getting.

This commentary was dire (I ended up writing down a list of the errors, but gave up once I'd got to fifteen).

I think that it should be raised with someone at the club, because of the potential backwash for ECFC. I think Scott Palfrey would be appalled and would do what he could to protect the club's position.

In terms of Radio Devon, frankly I don't realistically expect consistently high standards from a comparatively small local radio station. And I think we should give some leeway to the co-commentator, who both has a difficult job and is, I suspect, an unpaid volunteer. But the main commentator?...I suspect he did his best at short notice, but unfortunately it was simply miles away from being good enough.

A solution? with some of the games involving our young players, we have had members of ECFC academy coaching staff providing commentary and co-commentary. They have been universally first rate. So if a similar last minute emergency happened I'd prefer them to provide the I-follow commentary service.

arthur

I've just emailed Radio Devon suggesting they look at this thread for the views of many City fans as to the quality of Tuesday night's commentary. When fans are openly saying they won't book i-Follow home match coverage due to it, I think it is important that Radio Devon are aware of that.
I submitted a formal complaint to the BBC (suggesting they look at Exeweb) and got this bog standard reply:

Thank you for contacting us regarding the commentary during the Exeter City v Morecambe match on January 26.

We note you were disappointed in the commentary and have passed your concerns onto the team involved.

Programme contributors are appointed on the basis of their experience and talent, but judgements are often subjective and we would never expect everyone to agree with every choice we make.

We don't engage any commentator or presenter unless we believe they're competent and can meet the specific demands required of them.

However, we appreciate you feel we could have done better on this occasion.

I enjoyed Programme contributors are appointed on the basis of their experience and talent :cool:

AndyR

I have now received a response to my email to Radio Devon. As with the reply to Oxfordshire Grecian set out on the other thread (should these be merged?) it was from Editor Mark Grinnell and apart from a very slightly different opening, the reply was word for word the same as received by OxG.

Hopefully he read the Exeweb thread that I pointed him to as he will surely then have no doubt about the extent of listeners' dissatisfaction.