• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

TMC - The mighty Christian.

Dobley

How we lost that game I'll never know, especially as we hit the woodwork moments before they got that last minute goal:'(. Probably something to do with the on-loan Chipnicker in goal:(
Blakey having a tactical brainstorm at 2-1 and going to 5 at the back when we were all over them might have had something to do with it IIRC. One of the worst singular moments for me following City - especially after I realised who had put the cross in - outranked only by the Kiddy fans 18 months later singing "going down" after Henriksen had put in his hattrick and me realising they were probably right, and of course relegation itself.

looking at those old clips of him was really interesting. he really was hot. i didn't remember him being that good. i think he lost a lot of enthusiasm towards the end of his stay. but out of the five strikers we've got on the books now not one of them could have scored either of his goals against scunthorpe. makes you realise how far away we still are in some departments.
We simply have not had a player of his kind since. Devine had the scoring instinct but was distinctly traditional, and Copps could do wonderful stuff with the ball but had no end product (of the two, going by their respective stints at City, I'd take Roberts back over Copps every time; funny then how their respective careers have panned out). Without any undue disrespect to any players who have pulled on the shirt in the last, what, 6-7 years (?), we've come nowhere close to having anyone who could impact a game quite like TMC.

All I can say is roll on the day when our continuing recovery puts us in the position to see his kind grace the SJP surface again.

SDRighton

Great Player. Was Christian Roberts black? I could never quite work it out.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
There was a time when the only thing worth going to city was to watch Christian Roberts. So fast over a short distance and full of tricks. A very promising player in his time although he had his shortcomings as a team player. There used to be endless debate on here about whether he was any good or not, all I knew was that when I saw the team that was playing I'd get a thrill if he was out there on the right hand side. You had the feeling that anything could happen if he had the ball and had a run on goal.

What must stand out was that goal against Argyle.

Beswetherick sheparding the ball over the goal line beside the goal, Roberts skipping between him and the line and taking the ball. A low cross to the near post where Buckle was thundering in. A clattering melee of players and the ball skewing back out to Roberts who curled the ball high into the far corner with his left foot.

Thanks Christian!

Last edited:

ecfcandy

Great Player. Was Christian Roberts black? I could never quite work it out.
i think he was!

Red and White Zider

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always remember Christian was the first player over to clap the Big Bank at the end of games.

GrecianGav

Class act on his day and someone i thought would go allot further in the game.

Rich-THSC-