• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tis, Dunne and Noble

LammieLammieLammie

Very well known Exeweb poster
You have to presume that he has been training daily since August, if he's not fit now then something's not quite right.
Not sure I agree with this. There's fitness, and there's match fitness. Good thread, and I think it's fair to say Noble hasn't won over the fans yet.

I don't think he's used to not being "the main man" in a team, and you can see that he loves the ball, and wants to play. To have a midfield that contains him, Sercs and Ryan is something that a few years ago we could only have dreamt about.

I would like to see him recycle the ball a bit quicker, as Tis said the other day, so much of our play depends on the tempo of our passing.

He's a quality player though, no doubt about that.

Last edited:

dommers

To be honest I think had Dunne started on Saturday and tried to play like he did for 90 minutes then I think he would have had to come off after 60 mins. The reason he was so effective was that he only had 45 minutes to close the opposition down and he certainly did that well.

eastdulwich

Noble has the ability to be City's best midfielder. He has skill, vision and physical presence. At the moment, he is inconsistent and finding it hard to find his place in a team with three other fantastic midfielders. Personally, I think he will click sometime soon and then he will soar. It must be hard to get back to football after such an injury and the physical and mental scars that brings. In my bones, I just feel Noble will repay us by grabbing the midfield and making it his own. I would also like to see Jake Thompson getting more minutes in games. I assume that Tis isn't happy with his defending, otherwise he would have swapped him for Tully at Argyle.

LOG

To have a midfield that contains him, Sercs and Ryan is something that a few years ago we could only have dreamt about.
True story, but do you reckon that Harley plays a different, less effective, game alongside Noble in a midfield 3 than the one he plays with Dunne?

rich13

Check out from 4m 30, hopefully one day we will see that at the park.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz8U7IIx2T4

malcolms

Not sure I agree with this. There's fitness, and there's match fitness. Good thread, and I think it's fair to say Noble hasn't won over the fans yet.

I don't think he's used to not being "the main man" in a team, and you can see that he loves the ball, and wants to play. To have a midfield that contains him, Sercs and Ryan is something that a few years ago we could only have dreamt about.

I would like to see him recycle the ball a bit quicker, as Tis said the other day, so much of our play depends on the tempo of our passing.

He's a quality player though, no doubt about that.
Sorry Lammie but this "match fitness" bollox is just that. If you are saying there is a sharpness that comes with games then you are right but its not to do with physical fitness, its to do with coordination. It may be that he will come through and I agree with he has been a quality player but these type of injuries leave serious mental scars and they are the most difficult things to overcome.

Last edited:

andrew p long

I've always been a massive fan of Dunne and yet to be convinced by Noble, despite his obvious quality.
'Yet to be convinced' ? A fan has seen him a handful of times, can tell he ' has obvious quality' but is 'yet to be convinced'.

Whereas Tis' knowledge is based on a good deal more than that. As is the knowledge of Bristol City fans.

Nothing new in fans not seeing the best in players in the first outings. example-all those Millwall and Southend fans who couldn't see that George Friend was any good in a month long loan spell. As well as all the Tis signings that took a while to come through (Duffy and Golborne as well as the more usual examples)

Having said that I think Arthur is on to something.Some unusual things re Noble,like making him vice captain before he'd kicked a ball for us. I reckon Tis now knows that for many/most games the best midfield trio is Harley,Sercombe Dunne. Making Noble feel wanted whilst not always picking him is a difficult course to steer

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
They are very different players. The only player similar to Dunne in the City squad is Bertie, who is a much more limited footballer but has the same ability to disrupt the opposition flow and turn defence into attack - eg Yeovil away.

Dunne is still a young player, learning but occasionally loses his way - poor at Plymouth and worse at the Gas (I suspect a touch of the flu?) so maybe that was part of the thinking. Noble was OK in the first half on Saturday, still over-elaborating but some nice probing passes which might have produced something. But I agree he's still not back up to speed yet, if he ever will be, and the other players don't seemed to be attuned yet to his diagonal passing (or he's not attuned to their movements). I'd have liked to seen a fully fit Noble operating with a fully fit Stanno, but that's not to be...

Not sure it was the substitution directly that led to the 4 goals in the 2nd half - Dunne was not directly the instigator of any of them, IIRC - but his presence clearly allowed Sercs to be more positive, especially as Harley had one of his in-and-out games, always wanted one more touch before passing or shooting.

I think we're lucky to have the options we do have this season when everyone is available. I'd still like a left sided attacker like Noone (anyone know where Shephard has disappeared to, he looked useful in pre-season), but I suppose that can't be.

Poultice

Cheesy is joined at the hip to his pals, and the older the better, Stewart, Russell and now Noble, who might have had a couple of half decent twenty minute cameos but every other time has been a complete liability, come to think of it, other then a decent pen WTF did he do at Rovers ?

All three of them were obviously gifted players in their time, but their time was passed before we got our mitts on them, Dunny is nails 'NOW', plus Harley does his stuff far better when Nobby isn't on the field, I could give a flying what you boys think Cheesy sees on the training ground, he nearly screwed us before by playing his geriatrics until the young uns smacked him in the face with their performances, plus he picked Deadwood week in week out until it would have been obvious to a blind, deaf, mute that he was sh*te.

Antony Moxey

All three of them were obviously gifted players in their time, but their time was passed before we got our mitts on them, Dunny is nails 'NOW', plus Harley does his stuff far better when Nobby isn't on the field, I could give a flying what you boys think Cheesy sees on the training ground, he nearly screwed us before by playing his geriatrics until the young uns smacked him in the face with their performances, plus he picked Deadwood week in week out until it would have been obvious to a blind, deaf, mute that he was sh*te.
Amusing to think you know more about our players abilities (or not) than the manager does.