• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time For Reflection

Stuart Storer's Tache

You often do with Davies, which is part of his effect - gets the job done quietly and rarely wastes possession.
True, and to be fair I was so deflated by the inclusion of two or three others on the team sheet I didn't notice him on there either.

Had a suspicion Morrison would start for some reason but not the other two old timers as well.

Terryhall

I think that was just a fantastic goal for which you have to give Ojo (who looks some player) the credit.
Agree with that. I even applauded it in the pub when it went in, it was that good. He didn't even have to look up, instinctively knew where the goal was. Great finish.

Barum

Liverpool threatened once more in the dying stages, but Benteke overran having rounded Olejnik, and the game ended 3-1 to the home side[/ how can they make such a mistake!
You mean the scoreline or still having Tisdale as manager?!?!

tonykellowfan

It's Tisdale through and through. Gets the first game spot on, great game and we could have won. Second game, inexplicable team selection, deflates the fans, crap performance and crap result.

richard_portland

Very well known Exeweb poster
Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Woodman is a target because he has poor games. This is a guy who has made nearly 500 starts and most of them at a higher level. Last night wasn't his worst game but still ...

Red Monster

Tis got it so wrong last night we needed legs in the middle of the park and of course up front and it was just not there.

I want the whole squad fit soon just to see who's the first senior players to be left out of the 18 match day squad.

Need five changes on Saturday and they need to be the right ones. UTC

denzil

Pre match Tis (on TV) said the idea of the first half team selection was a damage limitations exercise (that's a great start eh) hence having the "experience" of now old plodders Oakley, Butterfield, Davies, Morrison (and as it turned out Woodman too)on the pitch first 45. "We have a team for each half" - but we're only allowed to replace 3 with substitutes which means 3 "old plodders" remained on the pitch the whole 90 minutes - EXCELLENT TEAM SELECTION THAT TISDALE.

Time for the (once good) older players to gracefully stand down as they and the Manager, are stifling our team. The money that these "old boys" are on would release (maybe) much needed capital to tempt David Wheeler and Tom Nicols to stay.

I bet Jordan Tillson and Joel Grant (if the latter played through the middle) were champing at the bit to get on last night....................

Last edited:

eurogrecian

Lots of criticism of the City on here, but I think we need to acknowledge as well that Liverpool looked very sharp from the very first minute and a different proposition to the first tie (and I don't buy the stuff about the pitch favouring us at StJP).

I picked up the Liverpool Echo before I left Murkeyside this morning and there is not a word in there about City being a poor opposition, but all about how well Liverpool played (except Benteke), contrasting this with how they allowed Carlisle to take them to pens in the LC earlier in the season. Sometimes the opposition will play better than us.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
And yet aside from Butterfield, who I thought was poor especially in comparison with his excellent performance on Saturday, who really "let the side down" on that score? I thought Oakley played well, Davies was industrious as ever.

One of the major key differences was that we lost our heartbeat in Noble while they added one in Allen, who was immense. Oakley, for all that he did fine, is not Noble (nowadays anyway).

I will agree re: the team selection in terms of our options - I'd had Morrison down to start but alongside Nichols. Without an outlet for his flicks the ball kept coming back when it needn't have done.

As I said at half time I'd rather we lost 3-0 showing a bit of attacking intent than lose 1-0 playing on the edge of our own box. At least we did that.

Liverpool were simply miles better than they were in the first game, which in all honesty was our chance.
Most reasoned post I've read all day. Thank **** someone's not completely lost the plot.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lots of criticism of the City on here, but I think we need to acknowledge as well that Liverpool looked very sharp from the very first minute and a different proposition to the first tie (and I don't buy the stuff about the pitch favouring us at StJP).

I picked up the Liverpool Echo before I left Murkeyside this morning and there is not a word in there about City being a poor opposition, but all about how well Liverpool played (except Benteke), contrasting this with how they allowed Carlisle to take them to pens in the LC earlier in the season. Sometimes the opposition will play better than us.
Sadly, as so often with PT, what he says and what he does differ greatly.... After all, the tie was a bonus and as such, he should have had the courage to "go for it" as he predicted he would in all the pre match interviews that I read. A lot of the goodwill generated by a great home performance has now turned to rightful criticism for a return to type......