• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
The bigger joke is the HST is still probably the most comfortable train in Britain (although I must admit to have not been on its GWR replacement yet).
Take plenty of cushions, the hard seats are designed for ease of cleaning, not the comfort of passengers ! :mad:

Reactions: DB9

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 125s are so much more comfortable than the new trains. They also have electronic doors which improves dwell time at stations, but the fitting caused a number of problems.

Alistair20000

The bigger joke is the HST is still probably the most comfortable train in Britain (although I must admit to have not been on its GWR replacement yet).
Some of the HST stock was very tired but I don't find the GWR replacement a noticeable improvement.

Oldsmobile-88

A bar /snack shop on a old HSTs too..I don’t think the new Hitachi trains have either.

DB9

A bar /snack shop on a old HSTs too..I don’t think the new Hitachi trains have either.
Nope they have trolly doilies (Male and female)

Alistair20000

Nope they have trolly doilies (Male and female)
Presumably not since Covid rocked up ?

DB9

Presumably not since Covid rocked up ?
Oh yes, Since you have to sit in a window seat that gives the 2m rule (Until Monday) they still rock up to your seat, Only payment by contactless though. On Cross-country trains you have to go to a specific carriage where you get served, So one company does it one way and others do it a different way, Sounds like the lockdown, Confusing!!

Last edited:

Grecian2K

Some of the HST stock was very tired but I don't find the GWR replacement a noticeable improvement.
Don't know too much about being "tired".

As well as having earned a well deserved swansong north of the border some of these wonderful machines are still frequent (and hugely welcome) workhorses for GWR from Bristol and Wales to and from Cornwall. All be it in 4 rather than 8 or 9 carriage sets - although I'm told that, in that formation, they can now escape from Scumuff up the fearsome Hemerdon bank and still be accelerating at the top!

So even if your "Nobby Stiles" happen to be playing up to can still sample that luxurious 70s style upholstery if you choose the right service!

Alistair20000

Oh yes, Since you have to sit in a window seat that gives the 2m rule (Until Monday) they still rock up to your seat, Only payment by contactless though. On Cross-country trains you have to go to a specific carriage where you get served, So one company does it one way and others do it a different way, Sounds like the lockdown, Confusing!!
I have done very little train travel in the Covid period but on one occasion when I asked about refreshments I was told no service was currently being provided as "not safe due to Covid." Possibly a convenient excuse for something else ?

DB9

I have done very little train travel in the Covid period but on one occasion when I asked about refreshments I was told no service was currently being provided as "not safe due to Covid." Possibly a convenient excuse for something else ?
Possibly, GWR have a trolley service, Crosscountry have an area but restricted to one customer at a time, LNER have a PR Code on the back of seats which when you point your camera on your phone at it will send to their "Trolly Dolly" part of LNER's website and you order and pay on the phone and they bring it to your seat but they still have an area like Crosscountry to get stuff, Other than those, I have seen no service for food/drink on any other train companies and I've been all over England and Wales.