• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes..There was always a fascination with the stormy weather & high tides when i was at the school,unfortunately tragedy can be just around the corner.

View attachment 6501
We also used to run through the railway tunnels between Dawlish and Teignmouth at that age. Slightly more mature these days !

Oldsmobile-88

We also used to run through the railway tunnels between Dawlish and Teignmouth at that age. Slightly more mature these days !
Jeeze !!!...Now that is not for the faint hearted.

grecIAN Harris

I checked out a few of the stations last year when in North Devon. Halwill Junction you can still a bit of the platform if you walk past the new houses, plus you can see the two junctions if you walk towards Bude. Dunsland Cross was a problem, as I couldn't work out where the line was, even though I found Railway Cottages! I think there had been a bridge that has now been demolished.
I've played football on the old line at Halwill Junction as the pitch is between to of the old railway embankments.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I've played football on the old line at Halwill Junction as the pitch is between to of the old railway embankments.
I'd assumed that the footpath was the line, but of course it was a multi line station.

Attachments

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Was surprised to see one of these whisk me north from Edinburgh.

Attachments

Oldsmobile-88

Was surprised to see one of these whisk me north from Edinburgh.
Which route ?

I saw the HSTs on the route via Aberdeen recently.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Edinburgh to Inverness.

Alistair20000

The Scots bought a batch of 125's off GWR in 2016 for refurbishment.

The joke at the time was that this particular class of engine was pretty much clapped out and already represented in the National Rail Museum in York.

grecIAN Harris

The Scots bought a batch of 125's off GWR in 2016 for refurbishment.

The joke at the time was that this particular class of engine was pretty much clapped out and already represented in the National Rail Museum in York.
The bigger joke is the HST is still probably the most comfortable train in Britain (although I must admit to have not been on its GWR replacement yet).

Grecian2K

Did you know that the man who designed the HST was also responsible for the Kenwood Mixer...and Parking Meters!