• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Steam train on Wednesday. Exeter at 12.25, then later from 18.14 to 18.55. May feature 34046 Braunton.
**Makes diary entry**

DB9

Since I've had this new job it has taken me all over the country and a lot of traveling is done by train, I've become a bit nerdy but looking at the Bridges, Tunnels and Viaducts, How awesome were the Victorians and Edwardians? Most i travel through or under/over were bulit by them and those navvies must have been really tough people, Without modern machines to help and the designs by people back then have truly stood the test of time. Really we did have some real good designers and builders. I am really in awe of them and they never got the credit they desereved.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Steam train on Wednesday. Exeter at 12.25, then later from 18.14 to 18.55. May feature 34046 Braunton.
Website now says LMS pairing, Black Five + Royal Scot.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rather embarrassing for DCMS who have just published a tweet advertising a new British rail pass (not sure how it differs from the Rover). They showed a steam train passing over an iron girder bridge with lovely landscape. Shame it was the Sauschwänzlebahn on the German/Swiss border! :)

Looking forward to doing some of the German heritage lines, one day.

Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

The Royal Train at Dawlish yesterday(11th June) taking the Queen from Windsor to St Austell for the G7 Summit.
Pic shared by Thomas Mills.
D53ECAC3-4BDA-4244-A047-599191CAA78A.jpeg

Reactions: DB9

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Steam train (Royal Scot) passing through Exedurr this morning. Returning at 5.55.

DB9

Steam train (Royal Scot) passing through Exedurr this morning. Returning at 5.55.
Seems like a lot of heritage (Steam) trains are getting a run out, They are great to see though.

Alistair20000

And here is a video of Royal Scot in charge of 13 coaches if I counted correctly assisted by a heritage diesel Roger Hosking M.A. passing rather swiftly through St Thomas station this evening.

Maybe 12 coaches on a recount

View attachment trim.DC4178D5-067B-4101-8515-C5DE1CE3E2D4.MOV

chunkymorrinmunter

The Royal Train at Dawlish yesterday(11th June) taking the Queen from Windsor to St Austell for the G7 Summit.
Pic shared by Thomas Mills.
View attachment 6268
Lot of carriages just for the queen 🤔

Oldsmobile-88

On the subject of the Royal Train.Prince Charles used it a few times in the 1980s with the Princess of Wales when visiting Devon & Cornwall.
It was stabled at night on the Heathfield Branch with the Royals on board a couple of occasions.
A friend of mine who worked on BR track maintenance said they always knew when it was going there despite the secrecy surrounding the trains movement(this was the time of the IRA threat) because all of the cuttings & embankments on the first mile of the branch were cut back & the area tidied up.