• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ditching peak and off peak prices would be a good start as it’s that that seems to cause most of the problems. I once travelled from Bristol to Manchester and had seven single tickets to get the best possible price but didn’t actually move from my seat. When I used to regularly travel from Bristol to London I broke the journey at Didcot and it saved about £60, again without moving from my seat. Where's the sense in that?

Not only that but peak and off peak distorts the times that people travel. The last off peak train back from London would always be rammed as would the first one once peak time had finished. There were many times that I’d have to stand all of the way. I once got off at Reading and milled about there waiting for a later service as it was preferable to the conditions on the train!

Oldsmobile-88

There should be a standing only ticket 😉I’ve had to do that many times to London from Exeter.
Also from Birmingham a few times on those ridiculously small 4 carriage Voyagers.
Not a big deal for me because I’m reasonably fit,but I’ve seen elderly passengers(customers 😎) really struggling in the vestibule areas on overpacked trains.
Ironically that sort of overcrowding would not be allowed on a bus.

Double decker trains are the answer as the have in the US & Europe..But that of course is impossible on the UK infrastructure unless started from scratch.

Oldsmobile-88

Listening to Pete Waterman talking about the UK railway on Jeremy Vines Radio Show.He mentioned that most of the UK rail franchises are owned by European State Railways..Arriva for example is owned by Deutsche-Bahn.Others are owned by Dutch,French & Italian State Railways.
The UK taxpayer is not only subsidising rail fares in this country,they are also probably subsidising fares indirectly to European State rail companies through the franchise system & the huge amount of subsidies given.

Colesman Ballz

Listening to Pete Waterman talking about the UK railway on Jeremy Vines Radio Show.He mentioned that most of the UK rail franchises are owned by European State Railways..Arriva for example is owned by Deutsche-Bahn.Others are owned by Dutch,French & Italian State Railways.
The UK taxpayer is not only subsidising rail fares in this country,they are also probably subsidising fares indirectly to European State rail companies through the franchise system & the huge amount of subsidies given.
It has become endemic through the system. It's not just trains either, you have London buses operated by RATP, so they are subsidising the fecking Paris Metro ! :mad:

angelic upstart

It’s almost everything in the UK foreign owned? British Gas is German?

Alistair20000

It has become endemic through the system. It's not just trains either, you have London buses operated by RATP, so they are subsidising the fecking Paris Metro ! :mad:
Strange that. The Paris Metro (and other parts of the Paris transport system operated by RATP) receive large French government subsidies. One of my French friends curses that this is going towards London buses. :)

Oldsmobile-88

It’s almost everything in the UK foreign owned? British Gas is German?
British Gas(Centrica) is still what it says on the tin.

Most gas distribution networks are foreign owned,as are a few suppliers.
The network for the South West & Wales(WWU) was originally bought by a Australian Bank(Mcquirie) when areas were sold off in 2005.It is now owned by a Hong Kong businessman (CKH)who paid £7bn cash apparently for it.

To keep on theme(loosely)at a meeting about raising the profile of Wales & West Utilities(WWU) it was asked why the public did not know much about the company or what its primary role was.
Someone quite rightly pointed that the first two words sounded like a Railway Company 😁

DB9

Hope you'll forgive us Hants, It is about trains and i thought of you when i read this:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hope you'll forgive us Hants, It is about trains and i thought of you when i read this:

It went through Guildford apparently a few Saturdays ago. Knew nothing about it. I've been on the footplate and chatted with the driver, that's good enough for me :)

DB9

It went through Guildford apparently a few Saturdays ago. Knew nothing about it. I've been on the footplate and chatted with the driver, that's good enough for me :)
It sends goosebumps through you when you see it, Just so iconic, Able to be on the footplate must have been awesome, Well there's another chance to see it next week if you can. 👍