• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Off track slightly,anyone remember the huge viaduct that carried the railway from Exmouth to Tipton St John which cut across Exeter Road in Exmouth ?..It was demolished in the mid 1980's iirc
http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/show.htm?img=65-014-28&serial=9

Oldsmobile-88

A aerial view of the viaduct.It was a lot longer than I remembered.. http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw023658

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Southern Railway main line to P**mouth used to pass through Okehampton and Tavistock. There are (or were) plans to rebuild the Bere Alston - Tavistock section, which would leave only Okehampton - Tavistock. Not that far. That part of the line runs very close to Dartmoor, though, and was cut off by snow in the winter of 1963!
If you Google 'Bere Alston Station' you'll notice track continues on through the station till out of sight. There's a couple of wooden sleepers fixed Heath Robinson style to the rails that marks where the track in use ends. Also check out 'Yelverton Station,' just that little bit further down the line and you'll see that the track has obviously been lifted quite some time ago, however, apart from debris, the platforms look reasonably okay as is the tunnel.

StroudGrecian

One problem would be the houses that have been built over the track where Tavistock station used to be, and the new West Devon Borough Council Offices just to the north, which I imagine would also have to be demolished.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
One problem would be the houses that have been built over the track where Tavistock station used to be, and the new West Devon Borough Council Offices just to the north, which I imagine would also have to be demolished.
I really don't know how they'd get around that problem as I'm unfamiliar with that neck of the woods. Is there land available close by that would allow them to reroute the track?

Am I right in thinking that a section of that old rail route that butts up against the main line at Plymouth is a fully working private railway?

motorservices

I would expect that most of the the Blue Rinse brigade in West Devon will be choking on their Earl Grey at this news, remember that Tavistock was too 'posh' for a McDonalds!!
From a personal point of view the thought of Tavistock being on the main Penzance to London line has me creaming my pants in anticipation.
last night i spoke to a friend who is involved with railway planning and he told me that due to Dawlish they are going to be joining plymuff to Oke via Tavi, its going to happen and the station will be very close to the town, he also told me that although all the old line has been sold it is covered by comp purchase order so there wont be any problems, when the lines were taken up they left all the track beds in place

Better buy my house up down road now, cos once the line is up and running they will double in price

StroudGrecian

I really don't know how they'd get around that problem as I'm unfamiliar with that neck of the woods. Is there land available close by that would allow them to reroute the track?
They can't reroute as it is just north of the viaduct, unless they completely reroute around Tavi. I think moto moto is right that CPOs would be used to reacquire the former line, given the exposure the current situation is getting.

tavyred

Wow, you`re well informed SG!
I currently walk my dog on the old line and as you say aside from a handful of houses and the WDBC offices at Kilworthy it wouldn't take much to reconstitute the line through central Tavistock and on to Oke.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I understand that the wall of containers forming the defence at Dawlish has been breached tonight. Which could mean further delays to getting the line rebuilt.

Silver fox

I understand that the wall of containers forming the defence at Dawlish has been breached tonight. Which could mean further delays to getting the line rebuilt.
Rough down here today Hants, never seen anything like it!