• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
it's my only way of getting to see City and have a drink!
Google maps reckons you can walk it in a day, so get your stuff together.

Broken Britain.

Oldsmobile-88

All that is needed is a bit of track that goes straight from Exeter to Newton Abbot, it's only that bit at Dawlish that is a problem.
A line was going to be built in the late 1930's(Dawlish Avoiding Line)..

It was to start at Exminster & rejoin the existing line near Teignmouth & was to be routed behind Dawlish.

The GWR purchased the land reqd.laid out marker posts & some preparatory work was carried out at the back of Dawlish(a few propertys were bought because they were on the route of the proposed route)..Work was suspended in late 1938,due to rearmament after the Munich crisis,then war.The plan was dropped in 1946 with the country & railway companys broke..The land purchased was sold back to the original landowners,except for one building in Dawlish(The old rectory) which was used until around 1990 for railway employess to stay on holiday.

Last edited:

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
My Dad was a civil engineer and I saw the plans in a book he bought a few years ago, it was quite far advanced as you say.

The other option could have been to re-open the Teign Valley line from Newton Abbot - Ide(?) - Exeter.

STURTZ

Google maps reckons you can walk it in a day, so get your stuff together.

Broken Britain.
Not from my house it's not! Have walked from Teignmouth before but it's a stretch.

Oldsmobile-88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEXi81qjx8

The line/sea wall took quite a pounding

Oldsmobile-88

Not from my house it's not! Have walked from Teignmouth before but it's a stretch.
A few years ago,a patient from Langdon Secure(!) Unit,just outside Dawlish walked to Truro(it took him a week)..What was bizzare about the episode was that he was not missed..:D..It was his family who raised the alarm when he turned up on the door step..!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
it's my only way of getting to see City and have a drink!
We need a proper campaign using local MPs and Ministers and we could call it 'Get Sturtz to the game'.

God

Everywhere, all at once. Pretty neat, huh?
The sea wall took quite a pounding.
Sorry. I was aiming for Trago Mills and missed.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Interesting looking at all the old lines from this BBC article. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-26068375

New lines could be a major boost for tourism as well as helping people get around the South-West. The biggest stumbling block to progress appears to be the MP for Dawlish, Sarah Wollaston. Clearly she needs to look after the interests of her constituency but the wider interests of Devon and Cornwall need to be considered.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster