• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Many people are completely unaware of the speed of such trains.
The line speed past Turf is 100mph. That means that a train, even spotted a "distant" half mile away would be on you in a mere 18 seconds! And, even with full brakes applied, said train would need at least 3/4 mile to come to a halt.
Thankfully, the crossing at Turf has since been replaced by a footbridge but there are still many uncontrolled level crossings, even on the highest speed lines. :(
There is another one for a public footpath about a quarter of a mile from the old Exminster Station(Exeter side) near to the Marsh.
When I was a child my Dad drilled it into me never to use it because of the speed of the trains on that section.Still never have to this day.

Alistair20000

Two steam excursions passing through Exeter this week courtesy of Saphos Trains, on Wednesday and Sunday. Both are headed for Kingswear.
Any timings and engine ID please Mr Ballz ?

Grecian2K

This might be the Wednesday jobbie Al.
(Although it's pathed as a "60mph diesel express")
Note: Click on the services for the complete timings of each

Alistair20000

This might be the Wednesday jobbie Al.
(Although it's pathed as a "60mph diesel express")
Note: Click on the services for the complete timings of each
Thanks G2K.

I see bleddy VAR has rocked up in the linky thing. :)

Grecian2K

I see bleddy VAR has rocked up in the linky thing. :)
Very good Al. I almost blundered straight into a well-deserved whoosh on that one!

Colesman Ballz

See timings have been posted already. Saphos have a pool of 4(?) engines they use. Am not up to date but Royal Scot is certainly one, the others currently may include Brittania, and Braunton. The diesel reference is likely a reference to the supporting class 47, and haulage on earlier parts of the journey.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The Thello night train from Paris to Venice via Milan has come to an end. I thought it was great but the wife hated it!

Ex-ciderrr

Would love to see a suitable railway in the North of our county (again) and I know the Tarka line is active. But something connecting the North of the county together more (Barnstaple, Bideford, Torrington Ilfracombe, South Molton for example) or maybe the coastline woolacombe - Lynton to the rest of Devon, Tiverton, Exeter etc and then west Somerset towns that are accessible from here Dulverton, Minehead to name a couple, seems plenty of houses going up pretty much everywhere in nearby towns here in North Devon, buses aren’t the greatest and the service to some villages are poor. I sadly can’t see it happening though nor do I expect it to given the cost of literally everything to construct such a thing, but I’ve some hope that the public transport service could be improved perhaps with more buses with all these houses going up.

It was only this week, travelling home from work through Molland under the old railway bridge besides the Black **** Inn ( Please note this is not racial, this is genuinely the name of the pub) back towards the Bane of the A361 that I thought of the previous railway that used to run over many areas of North Devon and beyond, unfortunately I wasnt even born when there was a rail network here in a north Devon so Honestly know very little about the history of it all, but how good would Something like that be now with housing going up and then for job opportunities too in the area.

Grecian2K

I notice that the Class 166 DMUs have begun appearing on the Exmouth-Paignton services. I presume they have been "cascaded" from their previous use in the Bristol area? I hope this is a permanent move and not just to keep them occupied during the current work while Temple Meads is closed.

They are at least slightly more modern than the usual class 150 rattle-wagons (with the luxury of air-con etc)

Oldsmobile-88

I was cycling along the canal yesterday & noticed the bridge over the railway at the end of Alphin Brook Rd/Clapperbrook Lane was closed(by the incinerator) for work on building the new Halt for Marsh Barton.

Traffic for the Double Locks is now re-routed via Water Lane beside the canal until it reaches the small swing bridge over the canal.
That is the first time the road by the canal past Thomas’s has been opened to through traffic since the mid 1970s.