Time for a new train line through the south west

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Since I've had this new job it has taken me all over the country and a lot of traveling is done by train, I've become a bit nerdy but looking at the Bridges, Tunnels and Viaducts, How awesome were the Victorians and Edwardians? Most i travel through or under/over were bulit by them and those navvies must have been really tough people, Without modern machines to help and the designs by people back then have truly stood the test of time. Really we did have some real good designers and builders. I am really in awe of them and they never got the credit they desereved.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rather embarrassing for DCMS who have just published a tweet advertising a new British rail pass (not sure how it differs from the Rover). They showed a steam train passing over an iron girder bridge with lovely landscape. Shame it was the Sauschwänzlebahn on the German/Swiss border! :)

Looking forward to doing some of the German heritage lines, one day.

Reactions: DB9

Alistair20000

Oldsmobile-88

On the subject of the Royal Train.Prince Charles used it a few times in the 1980s with the Princess of Wales when visiting Devon & Cornwall.
It was stabled at night on the Heathfield Branch with the Royals on board a couple of occasions.
A friend of mine who worked on BR track maintenance said they always knew when it was going there despite the secrecy surrounding the trains movement(this was the time of the IRA threat) because all of the cuttings & embankments on the first mile of the branch were cut back & the area tidied up.