• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Crosscountry Trains are rubbish too, You travel on theirs and there aren't many if any discounts available on that service.
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be doing business with them in a couple of weeks.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm sorry to hear that. I'll be doing business with them in a couple of weeks.
If you go on them for some reason if you sit near the end of a carriage you can smell the bogs everytime the door between the carriages are open and unlike the Hitachi 800's the Crosscountry trains feel very enclosed

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
If you go on them for some reason if you sit near the end of a carriage you can smell the bogs everytime the door between the carriages are open and unlike the Hitachi 800's the Crosscountry trains feel very enclosed
I think I'll hitchhike instead then. It's only to Bristol!

DB9

I think I'll hitchhike instead then. It's only to Bristol!
I'd go GWR to Bristol if you're in that region, The one good thing about Cross-country trains is that you can go South to North and vice versa without having to go through London, That is its saving grace.

DB9

Plans announced for a shake up in the Railways, Network Rail is going to be replaced by Great British Railways (GBR) Flexi Season Tickets too and other things, Must admit I'd prefer all the rail companies to be brought back into the public hands, Times have changed and it wouldn't be like the old days of British Rail, I'm probably in a minority but we pay more in subsidies to private companies than we have ever done and tbh some of the companies we've had have been useless, unable to manage a franchise and in the end the Government have had to take them over.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'd worry about how much influence DfT would have and how much interference those clueless Etonians will do to ruin it.

DB9

I'd worry about how much influence DfT would have and how much interference those clueless Etonians will do to ruin it.
No ones got it right since it was privatised except shareholders who've done very nicely out of it at the expense of the taxpayer and the misery of passengers who've had to deal with old, overcrowded late or cancelled trains and paid a fortune for that "Pleasure"

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
No ones got it right since it was privatised except shareholders who've done very nicely out of it at the expense of the taxpayer and the misery of passengers who've had to deal with old, overcrowded late or cancelled trains and paid a fortune for that "Pleasure"
It needs a plan for 20+years. It takes that long to plan and build new lines. We don't have a political system that allows that.

I'd also like to see more freight taken off the roads. I know that is an intention of HS2, but that doesn't serve large part of the UK.

DB9

You're probably r
It needs a plan for 20+years. It takes that long to plan and build new lines. We don't have a political system that allows that.

I'd also like to see more freight taken off the roads. I know that is an intention of HS2, but that doesn't serve large part of the UK.
You're probably right, As for freight I have noticed more and more freight trains being used and much longer ones too recently but it needs to be vastly expanded and go to more place to get freight off the road.

tavyred

The nationalisation of ‘ticketing’, which I assume will bring an end to the twattishly complicated way in which rail tickets were sold to Joe Public can only be a good thing.
Another Tory nod to Labour’s 2017 manifesto it looks like. 👍