• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The loss of the line at Dawlish is a good reminder that a new line out of Exeter is needed.

The political will for HS2 reminds us, surely, how low down the priority list is the south west!

Last edited:

Grecian_In_Exile

Very well known Exeweb poster
Definition of stupid, knowing the truth, seeing th
The loss of the line at Dawlish is a good reminder that a new line of Exeter is needed.

The political will for HS2 reminds us, surely, how low down the priority list is the south west!
It will happen when we finally get an electrified line, enjoy the long wait!!

STURTZ

Meanwhile Cornwall is cut off yet again!

crocks

Meanwhile Cornwall is cut off yet again!
Oh dear, what a shame... :D

StroudGrecian

They should reinstate the Teign Valley line, ok it was only ever single track but it could provide some respite for rail passengers.

DB9

It is typical of the transport links to the South West, The DOT are looking to improve the A303 but without what is needed a dual carriageway because it might upset some hippie burial site! While they bang on about HS2 to save about half hour from South to North (And of course it will be ONLY London that will see any financial benefit) The money they are spending on it they could build a Southern Motorway Running from Dover to Penzance, Its crazy that on the South Coast there is less than 20 miles of motorway (M27).

The Dawlish line always has this problem during bad weather and is often closes, Why on earth dont they do something about it?

LOG

Who had the bright idea of putting it right next to the sea? From the pics i've seen this morning, the line is hanging in the air.

Chuckles

If I remember rightly when the line was first planned and under construction the line from Exeter was due to go directly to Plymouth with a couple long tunnels being built. This was Brunels plan, however it was going to cost too much therefore it was re-routed via the coast to save money.

I know nothing about trains, but I know that to be correct

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Southern Railway main line to P**mouth used to pass through Okehampton and Tavistock. There are (or were) plans to rebuild the Bere Alston - Tavistock section, which would leave only Okehampton - Tavistock. Not that far. That part of the line runs very close to Dartmoor, though, and was cut off by snow in the winter of 1963!

Last edited:

Mr Jinx

Good old Dr Beeching. Has a lot to answer for if you ask me.