• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Did I see that work on a Okehampton Parkway station has now started?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did I see that work on a Okehampton Parkway station has now started?
I think there have been some initial feasibility studies but they are still trying to secure funding.
https://www.okehampton-today.co.uk/news/fresh-bid-planned-for-parkway-station-544244

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I think there have been some initial feasibility studies but they are still trying to secure funding.
https://www.okehampton-today.co.uk/news/fresh-bid-planned-for-parkway-station-544244
Cutting the amount of cars going in to Exeter would be a very good thing!

Alfie 1966

Cutting the amount of cars going in to Exeter would be a very good thing!
Yes thats what the P&R is meant to do if only Stagecoach could get a bus to turn up when City are at home on a Saturday. (Honiton Road P&R)

lamrobhero

Okehampton Parkway will on the edge of town, handy only for those who live on the Eastside, handy for commuters with their cars - I expect provision of a sizable car park. There is a (reduced?) bus service that goes through the centre of Okehampton picking people up as it goes which also serves the villages on the old A30 and went through the centre of Exeter droppling people off. I don't know how many free bus fares could have been given out if the subsidy for the build and the subsidy (?) for the running costs of the railway had been applied to the bus service. I am not aware of any feasibility study of the expenditure for opening and running the railway (pork barrell politics?)

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Hoping to pop up to London this afternoon to try out the new Elizabethan Line. Just Paddington to Abbey Wood for the moment. Next year should see the rest of it joined up so for a journey to Shenfield from Exeter a simple change at Reading is all that is required.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hoping to pop up to London this afternoon to try out the new Elizabethan Line. Just Paddington to Abbey Wood for the moment. Next year should see the rest of it joined up so for a journey to Shenfield from Exeter a simple change at Reading is all that is required.
Or you could change at Paddington instead of Reading ? Fare comparisons will be interesting.

My lad is going to try this new line out on Thursday: Paddington to Custom House. Looks quite a saving in time on the old Jubilee line route. Paddington to Liverpool Street looks quicker than Circle or Hammersmith & City lines too.

Will be interested in the feedback (y)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Clearly if you're coming from the south west then it'd be better to go into Paddington and change there. It was a 2 minute walk from the Elizabethan Line to platform 1 at Paddington where off course the Cornish Rivera train is supposed to be located.

Oldsmobile-88

A ballot of RMT members has voted unanimously for industrial action over pay & conditions.

71% voted(that’s pretty high) 89% voting for industrial action.

I remember a National Rail strike in 1982 when the network was shut for a while. Has there been one of similar size since ?

Oldsmobile-88

Since the Pandemic, rail travel habits have changed, possibly for ever, lots of reduced passenger numbers on many routes, especially the profitable commuter routes due to WFH, which is here to stay in some form.
Whether the network is sustainable without a lot larger than usual multi billion subsidies is open to question.