• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Time for a new train line through the south west - train related news

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
His cold remedy is sh*te as well.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Who had the bright idea of putting it right next to the sea?
As a Bristolian I'd have thought that you'd know that.

Only reason to use trains IMO is because you're too drunk to drive.

grecIAN Harris

The Southern Railway main line to P**mouth used to pass through Okehampton and Tavistock. There are (or were) plans to rebuild the Bere Alston - Tavistock section, which would leave only Okehampton - Tavistock. Not that far. That part of the line runs very close to Dartmoor, though, and was cut off by snow in the winter of 1963!
The bigger issue there is the upgrading and maintainance of Meldon Viaduct.

motorservices

and the fact that someone thought it a good idea to rip up the track from oke to tavi, i live in tavi and at the bottom of our garden is/was the railway line, the sectioned it up and sold each lot for £5, so i cant see a line from oke to tavi ever opening again

mammooman

Far too long have essential services, such as the trains, been run on a short term yearly business model instead of doing what's best for the long term. They think year to year, season to season. Why as investors would they want to spend £500m in one go when they could spend a few million each year tarting up the rough edges. It's managing the problem as it arises. I'd like to see a more pro-active let's try solve it before it happens approach, but that could involve lengthy arguements with the 'not in my back yard' brigade who think that as there is no current problem there will never be a need for it. Massive sea walls, engineering over moorland, that could mean your precious view partly blocked. Deal with it sunshine.

I know it's not directly related to the Dawlish line incident, but when the Sidmouth line was dismantled all the land up the Otter Valley was given back, for free, to the land owners. Such a shame. When driving into Exeter becomes more and more of a 'can I really be bothered with sitting in traffic for an hour' scenario a local train would be fantastic.

LOG

Was it Banksy?

buggerlugs

If I remember rightly when the line was first planned and under construction
Christ you're old :p

Mid Devon Clown

All that is needed is a bit of track that goes straight from Exeter to Newton Abbot, it's only that bit at Dawlish that is a problem.

EDIT: that might involve a fairly serious bit of tunneling through Telegraph Hill.

Last edited:

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Typical of the government for completely overlooking both this and the Somerset incident terribly. The fiasco at Cowley Bridge last year should have been a warning.

They were too busy worrying about that HS2 ********.

STURTZ

Only reason to use trains IMO is because you're too drunk to drive.
Exactly and when I hear Cameron describing the rail line to Cornwall as being one of the most beautiful and scenic routes in the country I just think, ***** that!
it's my only way of getting to see City and have a drink!