• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Tickets for the EFL Trophy game against Northampton

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Further to my previous post, just to demonstrate what a minefield this is, it says on the club website: 'Face maks must be worn at all times once you have entered the stadium'.

it is, I guess, conceivable that the club has unilaterally taken this decision. However, my understanding is that the government guidance published yesterday says the wearing of face masks will not be mandatory – see for instance: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/11/28/exclusivefootball-fans-will-not-face-mandatory-temperature-checks/
How is it a minefield? Given that no-one will just turn up hoping to get in and anyone coming will have had some correspondence from the club, then surely it couldn't be any simpler: no mask, no entry. Regardless of what the government's guidance is, the club, as long as it adheres to at least the minimum standard set out, can do whatever it pleases in what's required to gain entry, and will communicate those requirements to everyone attending a game.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I can’t view your Telegraph article Egg, but at Cheltenham they have said that 1m social distancing will be enforced and hence masks will be mandatory. Conceivably at larger stadiums 2m social distancing would enable people to remove masks.
This is from the gov.uk website, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-guidance-on-phased-return-of-sport-and-recreation/elite-sport-return-to-competition-safe-return-of-spectators, according to which, it seems, masks must be worn in indoor stadia and are to be encouraged outdoors:

Face coverings
Face coverings should be mandated indoors and in all covered communal / covered areas including on entry and in concourses, queues, toilets etc. Given the higher risk of transmission associated with singing and shouting, event organisers should remind spectators of this and strongly therefore encourage the use of face coverings in all outdoor spectator settings, including seats/standing points. They are mandatory in all indoor sports venues, in line with wider guidance on indoor spectator events. Singing and shouting is to be discouraged at indoor sports events.

I've only had a quick look, but the guidance looks like a veritable minefield to me. Interestingly, whoever's produced it seems oblivious to the fact that you're not allowed to consume alcohol in sight of the pitch at a football match!

i8cornwall

Great News, I’m not a ST holder this season nor a gold member so can’t see me being inside SJP any time soon but a huge step in the right direction.

Hope anyone lucky enough to be there for the coming games have a great time.

FYI I’d still boycott this game even if I could have gone, now more then ever we shouldn’t allow the premier league to try and force B teams on the EFL clubs.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
How is it a minefield? Given that no-one will just turn up hoping to get in and anyone coming will have had some correspondence from the club, then surely it couldn't be any simpler: no mask, no entry. Regardless of what the government's guidance is, the club, as long as it adheres to at least the minimum standard set out, can do whatever it pleases in what's required to gain entry, and will communicate those requirements to everyone attending a game.
So, according to the guidelines, the club can serve alcohol and isn't required to provide table service, as long as you return to your seat to drink your beer. That's all very well, except that, as we all know, you can't consume alcohol within sight of the pitch, ie when sitting in your seat.

Also, why are sports stadia in tier two exempt from only serving alcohol with a substantial meal, but not, apparently, those in tier one?

These are questions arising from just one small snippet of the guidance. You may think otherwise, but it looks like a minefield to me!

In tier 1 and 2: sports stadia will be exempt from having to provide table service to spectators who intend to sit to consume their food or drink (including alcohol). This should be limited to only those with tickets and those who are planning to return to their seat. Venues should take steps to reduce queues for ordering, ensuring social distancing is maintained at all times.

In tier 2: sports stadia are exempt from only serving alcohol with a substantial meal to spectators who intend to sit in the auditorium to consume their drink. This should be limited only to customers with tickets and those who intend to return to their seat.

In tiers 1 and 2: hospitality services within sports venues must take last orders at 10pm, and close at 11pm. These venues may stay open beyond 11pm in order to conclude events that start before 10pm.

Grecian Max

As always, it is only a "minefield" to those who want to pretend they are confused by everything and feel the need to be spoonfed guidance at every point from the government. Just chill out and use common sense.

Nigel E

Also, why are sports stadia in tier two exempt from only serving alcohol with a substantial meal, but not, apparently, those in tier one?
Because all tier one hospitality areas are exempt from this restriction in the first place. You don't need an exemption from a restriction that doesn't apply.

Grecian Max

So, according to the guidelines, the club can serve alcohol and isn't required to provide table service, as long as you return to your seat to drink your beer. That's all very well, except that, as we all know, you can't consume alcohol within sight of the pitch, ie when sitting in your seat.
"Supporters will be allowed to drink alcohol without ordering a substantial meal when football stadiums reopen on Wednesday – but only if they are seated in concourses or hospitality areas." We don't have much of that bar the AS9 stand, therefore it won't happen other than in very limited ways in that stand potentially, pretty simple

Grecian Max

Because all tier one hospitality areas are exempt from this restriction in the first place. You don't need an exemption from a restriction that doesn't apply.
MINEFIELD :LOL:

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
As always, it is only a "minefield" to those who want to pretend they are confused by everything and feel the need to be spoonfed guidance at every point from the government. Just chill out and use common sense.
Common sense would say anyone buying a beer under the ASSS at half-time should be allowed to return to their seat and drink it in the fresh air [rather than congregating under the stand in a less-well ventilated area]. So, genuine question, will that be permissible? Common sense would suggest the answer should be yes, but I don't pretend to know.

Andy Holloway

Common sense would say anyone buying a beer under the ASSS at half-time should be allowed to return to their seat and drink it in the fresh air [rather than congregating under the stand in a less-well ventilated area]. So, genuine question, will that be permissible? Common sense would suggest the answer should be yes, but I don't pretend to know.
Firstly football ground legislation states that alcohol is NOT to be consumed within view of the pitch - that's LAW!

Secondly to ventilate the SASS all you need to do is open the roller shutters at the entrance, the ones through the VOMIT are open anyway, then you'll have more ventilation than you'll know what to do with. On a windy day you might even have to nail punters down to prevent them from being blown through the SASS and out onto the pitch with beer in hand!!!