• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Three game ban for Atangana

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Listening to MT's comments he seemed to be suggesting there wasnt a deliberate violent element to it, that both players went for the ball with legs outstretched and foot up.
Well precisely. And the photo shows quite clear that both players had their leg raised to play the ball. If I was owner of City I would sue the referees association for using incompetent refs: The photo also shows the ref was one foot away staring at the incident/ dreaming about a sawdust pie.. Tw+t.
If you leg is raised to play the ball and you're going through the action when a split second pl after your opponent dies the same what are you supposed to do : take your leg off?
The problem is half these referees have never played football before. Even if they see an incident they can't interpret it

Last edited:

PeteUSA

Well precisely. And the photo shows quite clear that both players had their leg raised to play the ball. If I was owner of City I would sue the referees association for using incompetent refs: The photo also shows the ref was one foot away staring at the incident/ dreaming about a sawdust pie..

Mike, that 'still' photo offers no indication as to what really happened. You need to look at the incident in real time to see just how bad a tackle that was on one football profesional to another; its truly dreadful and cannot be defended. Okay the other player laid it on when he went down, but as I see it the intent by 'Nige' to put his studs into the other players leg is blatent and obvious. I cant believe anyone can suggest the incident was 'soft' or 'marginal', the referee was right on the spot and he did the right thing. How Taylor has the nerve to suggest appealing it I do not know.

IndoMike

Mike, that 'still' photo offers no indication as to what really happened. You need to look at the incident in real time to see just how bad a tackle that was on one football profesional to another; its truly dreadful and cannot be defended. Okay the other player laid it on when he went down, but as I see it the intent by 'Nige' to put his studs into the other players leg is blatent and obvious. I cant believe anyone can suggest the incident was 'soft' or 'marginal', the referee was right on the spot and he did the right thing. How Taylor has the nerve to suggest appealing it I do not know.
Real time is a split second action which few spectators could definitely say they knew exactly what happened. Both players had their boots raised - I assume the ball was off the ground - and Atangana was there a split second before. Since the player got up more or less straight away and I believe was not substituted how could it have been a dangerous tackle?
Football is a contact game : sometimes the contact just happens because a player can't stop a tackle when he's already started it
Regarding intent, how the fark can anyone know what Atangana's intention was at that moment: - is everyone a mind-reader?
I'm not convinced unless someone can prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was
a red card offence.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the initial decision was harsh but unless there are other camera angles showing a different perspective it won’t be overturned. The frustration is that there are fractions of seconds that are important here. IF Nige had been marginally quicker or the other lad fractionally slower, then the red card would have gone to their player. It really is that tight and why many will think it’s harsh.
If it's that tight than I agree with the suggestion that either both or neither player should have been sent off. I understand that if we appeal against Nigel's sending-off there is a chance that an extra game will be added to the ban; however, is there any similar punishment if we appeal that the Forest Green player should receive a retrospective ban in the same way that Stevenage got Tom Parkes banned.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see it the intent by 'Nige' to put his studs into the other players leg is blatent and obvious.
'King hell Pete how can you suggest that, they must have different TV across the pond than us - FAKE NEWS!!! The intent by Nigel was to win the ball NOT to break the other players leg, FFS when are you going to post something totally positive about the club?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
He's available for the Ipswich game. It's treated as a different competition for the purposes of discipline.

Red red

The red card should be appealed . The ref overacted ask anybody who was there.
Very very harsh decision. And yes I reffed at that level

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The red card should be appealed . The ref overacted ask anybody who was there.
Very very harsh decision. And yes I reffed at that level
Unlikely to be overruled IMO. Yes Swabey was too quick to reach for his red card and might only have given a yellow if he'd thought about it; but though on the harsh side this was not a clear refereeing error.

logman

Listening to MT's comments he seemed to be suggesting there wasnt a deliberate violent element to it, that both players went for the ball with legs outstretched and foot up.
Just viewed it several times and that is exactly how I saw it. Also relevant were the Forest Green players congratulating their player for the red card.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder if we will ever see both players sent off in these circumstances. Can't recall it ever happening hitherto, anyone know of a case?

It'd be a brave ref. who did so.