• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

lamrobhero

Protect & Survive booklet, A HMSO issue in the 60s & 70s..How to survive if you were outside the immediate Nuclear blast zone.

The accompanying Public Information Film was sampled in Frankie Goes to Hollywood’s Two Tribes video.

View attachment 8361
Jasper Carrott did a routine based on "Protect and Survive" very funny at the time in part because there was a frisson that it might actually happen.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember the Nuclear attack warning siren was tested(for 20 seconds), The first Monday of the month at 8pm regular as clockwork for years in the early 1970s. The one I heard was from the RN Supply depot at Countess Wear when I was living in Exminster as a child.

I believe when the Civic Centre in Paris Street was built around 1970 it came complete with a nuclear bunker in the basement.
I don’t recall the warning siren testing. Maybe it wasn’t nationwide ? Or living in the country meant we did not hear it ?

Colesman Ballz

I don’t recall the warning siren testing. Maybe it wasn’t nationwide ? Or living in the country meant we did not hear it ?
In Exeter on a Monday night you couldn't hear it for six months of the year anyway - all you could hear was the speedway (RIP Falcons !).
Seems a stupid idea because if the Russians did press the button, Shirley they would have picked that time to do it ? :cool:

Oldsmobile-88

Just local I would think..The RN Depot at Countess Wear would have probably incorporated some sort of local volunteer Civil Defence..The Depot was connected to the Exeter/Exmouth rail line until around 1983.The spur had a lot of use during the Falklands War sending stores to Portsmouth & Devonport.

Colesman Ballz

Football Specials- the line of Green and Cream double decker buses queuing up in Blackboy Road after a match at SJP. :(

Oldsmobile-88

Mr Therm the gas character ..100 cubic feet or 100,000 btu’s

Though oddly Therms have been quoted again in the international price of gas, after years of trying to confuse us all in the UK with KW/hrs for the price of gas.

E9C67090-3FB0-4828-803B-BBC4443C14FA.png

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Football Specials- the line of Green and Cream double decker buses queuing up in Blackboy Road after a match at SJP. :(
My Grandfather and I used to catch a football bus to the match from Exe Bridge. It (they?) used to be parked in Commercial Road.

Banksy

The back of the Hoover Dam just before it was flooded and never seen again (1936)350C18B0-C5EC-47B2-9D0D-83B6D188C478.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

Cigarette Coupons.

The advert is from May 1971..18p is the equivalent to £2.71 today.
The cheapest fags today are around £10 a pack.

F4E5B451-34BB-4647-ADE6-1E2A1C9FB7AA.jpeg

Bridgy 81

The back of the Hoover Dam just before it was flooded and never seen again (1936)View attachment 8464
I flew over this a few years ago in a small plane, it's certainly a big 'un.