• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Years ago, I went into a Fnac record shop somewhere in France. They had a system where you could take CDs into a booth, scan the barcode, and the machine would play the first 30 seconds of every song on the album through a big pair of comfy headphones.
When Virgin opened their record store in Brighton in the early seventies, you not only had comfy headphones, but great big comfy floor cushions to sit on as well ! 🙂

DB9

By the mid to late 1970s I would think all cars had Automatic Chokes.
My 1973 Cortina had the Choke on the side of the steering column.My 1976 Cortina had a Auto Choke.
You had to get the Choke setting just right on some mornings when it was not too cold or you would flood the carburettor(something else you do not see on cars nowadays) & stink the car out with petrol..Happy Days..Of course if you forget to put the Choke back in once the engine had warmed up you would be doing about 10mpg 😁😁
You're right about cars having auto chokes by then but a lot of us on here until we could afford a half decent car we'd buy a cheap old one that had one and those cars were around till quite late on.

Oldsmobile-88

You're right about cars having auto chokes by then but a lot of us on here until we could afford a half decent car we'd buy a cheap old one that had one and those cars were around till quite late on.
Yep..I had a few classic cars that were not converted to Auto Choke & used to forget to set the Choke on cold mornings.Though my 1965 Olds Delta(that I had in the mid 2000s) did have a Auto Choke that was standard.

Oldsmobile-88

Coal Bunkers.
454EA1A9-C0D8-4B2B-802C-F668066EC47C.jpeg

Colesman Ballz

There soon won't be a single British Coalmine left in operation, and we will have to import coal to provide for our steel plants, preserved railways, traction engines etc. Utter madness:mad: !

DB9

And the Coalman who delivered the stuff, Caked in it they were but that knack of carrying the bag of coal from the lorry to the bunker was a real skill of balance. Also their coal lorry, Just a flatbed truck, No sides with all that coal on.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
And the Coalman who delivered the stuff, Caked in it they were but that knack of carrying the bag of coal from the lorry to the bunker was a real skill of balance. Also their coal lorry, Just a flatbed truck, No sides with all that coal on.
Us kids had to sit outside and count the number of bags the coalman tipped into the bunker. Apparently they were notorious for delivering you a couple of bags short if they could get away with it.

DB9

Us kids had to sit outside and count the number of bags the coalman tipped into the bunker. Apparently they were notorious for delivering you a couple of bags short if they could get away with it.
"Official " or the coalman driver making a few quid on the side?

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
"Official " or the coalman driver making a few quid on the side?
The latter. Rascals the lot of them according to my mum.

Spoonz Red E

Also ..
Hundredweights (cwt) as a measure

Us kids used to think the 'c' stood for coal.

Unless we saw it on cement bags.

In which case it obviously stood for cement. :)