• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
anyone remember topless bars?
I prefer chocolate ones.

Spoonz Red E

Yeah.

My drinks kept spilling onto the glasses shelf.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
In a tiny bar in Copenhagen a topless hag appeared behind the bar, served our Amstel, and then said "You boys want anything else ?" whilst trying to look beguiling. One of the lads replied "Yeah, put your shirt on, you're fooking 'orrible !".

Oldsmobile-88

Corridor Train Carriages on the National Rail network.
The last time I remember travelling in one was around 1982.
F12DEECA-C54E-4999-AB30-107395858831.jpeg

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Corridor Train Carriages on the National Rail network.
The last time I remember travelling in one was around 1982.
View attachment 5351
They were in operation much later than that Olds. When I was working up Lundin, I'd regularly catch one of the doorslammers around the turn of the century. Portsmouth line I think they ran on.

But yes I used to love them. So much more comfortable and of course efficient to board with all those doors.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
Reminded me of another era.
On the way to College in the late 1970s a few of the lads were larking around in the compartment,a glass light shade above the seats was accidentally smashed,cue a outraged old chap from the next compartment storming in & taking everyone’s names & addresses.
We all gave false ones of course...

Oldsmobile-88

They were in operation much later than that Olds. When I was working up Lundin, I'd regularly catch one of the doorslammers around the turn of the century. Portsmouth line I think they ran on.

But yes I used to love them. So much more comfortable and of course efficient to board with all those doors.
Yes..They probably survived on the busy commuter lines,the corridor types disappeared on the West Country lines when the HSTs took over.

Rosencrantz

Yes..They probably survived on the busy commuter lines,the corridor types disappeared on the West Country lines when the HSTs took over.
They were still in existence in 2005 on our football special to Manchester for the United game 🙂

Alistair20000

The pic that Olds pasted up reminded me of this sort of door exit direct from the seating to the platform or elsewhere if one decided to bale out.

Elf 'n Safety would have gone mental

Oldsmobile-88

The pic that Olds pasted up reminded me of this sort of door exit direct from the seating to the platform or elsewhere if one decided to bale out.

Elf 'n Safety would have gone mental

View attachment 5352
Their were quite a few mishaps before automatically locked doors.There were reports in the 70s of doors opening just by passengers leaning against them because of defective lock maintenance.

I saw a chap who was a bit the worse for wear think the train was at St David’s Station after it had stopped just short of the platform,open the door & step out before anyone could stop him.
Luckily he was spotted by a couple of track maintenance workers who picked him up & after checking he was ok gave him a bOllOcking before walking him to the platform 😁