• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Shoe testing equipment. { what they used in the 1930’s , now they just fall apart after you’ve worn them for a week }View attachment 4151
Looks like some elaborate schoolboy punishment contraption. Just bend over here.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Football League Review magazine freebie that came with your City programme for years ?

"Look at it this way....with editor Harry Brown."

I expect I've still got a few Reviews somewhere.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Council workmen going round spraying the weeds on the pavements.

Oldsmobile-88

Small ads in the back of the Music Papers(they have disappeared too I think or online only)

I loved trawling through sounds to decipher the cryptic ads for bootleg live recordings.Punk rarity’s or of interest to the serious collector were a couple of terms to look out for(obviously for legal/ copyright reasons the real nature of the recordings could be advertised)
A address to write to or occasionally a phone number to get the latest Clash Live material(in my case) from the USA.Sent on a C90 tape for £3 inc pp.
I was sent a great recording of a gig from the Agura Ballroom,Cleveland Ohio Feb 1979.Many others too,you had to rely on the senders judgement of quality.The chap I dealt with from Stoke Newington always gave the recordings marks out of 10 in the list he sent.Most bands of that era were covered by his contacts to get recordings.

A ad that always made me smirk in those days (1979/80)..Anna Fords bum by Walvis O’Shea...No idea what the meaning was.It was in Sounds every week for about a year.

Swanaldo

People tearing phone books in half.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
People tearing phone books in half.
Phone Books themselves.

STURTZ

Booths in record shops.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Booths in record shops.
Good one. Also people singing out loud in those booths with their headphones on.

Alistair20000

City defeats away in the early rounds of the Cup

dontpassback

A politician who doesn’t talk complete and utter b####ks !