• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ambulance Man.

I remember as a child after a accident,2 men in smart grey tunics would turn up in a white Ambulance that was probably no better equipped that the average First Aid room in these days.

DB9

Ambulance Man.

I remember as a child after a accident,2 men in smart grey tunics would turn up in a white Ambulance that was probably no better equipped that the average First Aid room in these days.
Watching The Bill from the start you often saw them as you say dressed like that and the white Ambulance, Having just finished watching series 10 we're in 93/94ish they have in London been starting to wear green boiler suit type uniform and the Ambulances are a bit more jazzy with fluorescent livery and more, Bigger blue lights.

Last edited:

contrabombarde

On a similar theme but probably “ Things you don’t hear anymore “ Ambulances and Fire engines ringing a bell on their way to an emergency. (really showing my age now!)

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ambulance Man.

I played in a match where someone broke his leg. When the ambulance eventually turned up there was an old chap driving it who had no medical training at all, he was just asked to attend as it was a weekend and he could drive !

Oldsmobile-88

I played in a match where someone broke his leg. When the ambulance eventually turned up there was an old chap driving it who had no medical training at all, he was just asked to attend as it was a weekend and he could drive !
Yep..It was more of a conveyance to hospital years ago.
I remember a game I was in,a lad broke his leg.A spectator was despatched to run a couple of miles to the nearest phone box to summon one,in those distant days before mobiles.

Oldsmobile-88

A cheap working class shower...Usually a burnt scalp & a bit of water boarding thrown in too.
DF81502E-E158-459B-B2C2-9F820965DD4A.jpeg

Oldsmobile-88

The Calor Gas Superser portable gas heater.

Wonderfully efficient.All of the products of combustion ‘fumes’ in laymen’s terms helped warm
the room..! Deadly in a bedroom.
A great way to create carbon monoxide if there was no ventilation.(similar appliances now have oxygen sensors)
DE65A12A-4F08-4CE0-84B3-7C8523B02327.jpeg

STURTZ

2 bar electric fire, perfect for sticking a piece of newspaper in to light yer fag.

DB9

Those two fires everyone had in their homes, Especially the Calor gas portable one, With no mains gas in our area (Chilsworthy) and one clap of thunder and lightening or high winds knocking out the electricity they were very useful.

iscalad

God, those pics brought back memories. None very good.