• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Table top football with coins

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plastic submarines with a space in the conning tower for baking powder. They were supposed to submerge somehow but I never got one to work.

iscalad

Used to
Used to play this at school. Had a proper league going
Had to end it as we were ruining the desks

Swanaldo

Used to love them and made me own with plastic bags, cotton and a toy soldier.
You were lucky!

We used to nick one of granddad's hankies, a ball of string and a big wooden 'dolly' clothes peg as the 'soldier'

Oldsmobile-88

Haven't seen these for years. Cap Bombs.

View attachment 3695
Something similar in the depot yard once.We were bored
A 1”Iron cap,aload of heads from Swan Vesta matches put in the cap,then screw a 1”plug into the cap tightly.
Throw it hard onto the ground well away from yourself,a hell of a bang & the thing can fly anywhere as proved by a huge dent in a van door😁

Don’t Try This at Home !!😁😁

• Haha
Reactions: DB9

StroudGrecian

You won't be seeing these for much longer on the Island of Wight. These 1938 Metropolitan underground trains will be withdrawn at the end of the year, new track will be laid and they getting new old trains, refurbished District Line trains that will be battery operated.

View attachment 3690
I travelled on one of these at the weekend. The novelty value was quickly surpassed by the terror at how much we were thrown around when it picked up any speed - apparently due to worn bearings.

StroudGrecian

Could never get these to work. But I am reminded that me and me mate used to set fire to plastic toy soldiers - the sound the dripping plastic made was amazing, particularly when dropped into water. And you then got soldiers with hideous twisted 'war injuries' - we ended up with a 'Hiroshima' battalion.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, very popular at our school for a while. We used rulers to propel the coins.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shops in Alphington Street.

Oldsmobile-88

Shops in Alphington Street.
The last one I can remember was a florist,which was run by a couple of old ladies from their house just down from the Tyre Fitting Centre...That was the early 1980s