• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talking about kids and trees, you never see kids throwing sticks at horse chestnut trees to knock down the conkers either !
Conker competitions at school. At Hosworthy Comp we had one every year, I guess Health & Safety wouldn't allow it nowadays.

Spoonz Red E

Conker competitions at school. At Hosworthy Comp we had one every year, I guess Health & Safety wouldn't allow it nowadays.
This has been an urban myth for years.

There was one school back then which organised a tournament and provided safety goggles to the kids.
The Daily Mail and the rest of the 'PC gone mad' crew picked up on it and claimed that there was a 'ban on conkers'.

DB9

This has been an urban myth for years.

There was one school back then which organised a tournament and provided safety goggles to the kids.
The Daily Mail and the rest of the 'PC gone mad' crew picked up on it and claimed that there was a 'ban on conkers'.
If you're right, Do any schools have them nowadays? Genuine question.

Spoonz Red E

If you're right, Do any schools have them nowadays? Genuine question.
Not up to speed with what schools have but this seems to suggest that it is the kids themselves who may have been losing interest.

DB9

Not up to speed with what schools have but this seems to suggest that it is the kids themselves who may have been losing interest.
Consigned to history then like British Bulldog and the odd mental teacher who'd was happy to punch or throw stuff at you? :)

angelic upstart

Conkers are banned from my sons school as they don’t allow nuts in the school. That said, he loves collecting conkers but has no interest in playing the game. It’s a different world for children today.

Alistair20000

Even at my time of life I can't resist picking up conkers.
Did you bake them in the oven or pickle them in vinegar to harden them up for the contest ?

Colesman Ballz

Did you bake them in the oven or pickle them in vinegar to harden them up for the contest ?
Oh Alistair ! The revelation of your depth of knowledge of such scurrilous tactics might lead one to bring into question your own playground ethics ! 😲

fred binneys head

Conkers are banned from my sons school as they don’t allow nuts in the school. That said, he loves collecting conkers but has no interest in playing the game. It’s a different world for children today.
There’s probably an app for it now, grandad.

Antony Moxey

And you always had that one kid at school who had a 90er and could sniff out a baked conker from 200 yards. If your conker was declared baked by him not only were you shunned from all competitions but you were a social pariah too forever accused of being a conker cheat.

My conkers were always fine but I really hated that smug c*** and really wished I could smash his precious 90er over his over entitled sense of importance head.