• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I post them. HMRC sent a couple in the spring, I mailed them to my bank which is bleddy miles away and the money was in my account in a matter of days. It's a bit of a worry having your money trusted to Royal Mail but it turned out okay both times.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yep..HMRC still like to post cheques out.
Had a nice one myself last year for a tax rebate.
There was a option to pay direct into a bank account but you have to be registered on the government site(which I have now,it’s handy for checking NI contributions over the years)

Alistair20000

Things that work properly in this country.

Alistair20000

Heated debate on the Heathrow 3rd runway.

DB9

Heated debate on the Heathrow 3rd runway.
There was one MP, I can't remember his name saying he'll lay in front of the bulldozers if they try to build the 3rd runway. ;) :)

Oldsmobile-88

The Colston Hall...Now known as the Bristol Beacon.

Oldsmobile-88

Elephant & Castle shopping centre.The first of its kind planned when it opened in 1964.

It was a great melting pot of all cultures from around the world.Unlike the sterile shopping malls we see today with their international business brands.

I always had a mooch around it when in that area of London.A real market feel about the place & always a bargain to be had.

Prime real estate in South London as was the Haygate Estate beside it(since sold & demolished in the latest social cleansing exercise)

LOG

Brannigans crisps have been discontinued.

Alistair20000

Brannigans crisps have been discontinued.
I must say they seem to have lost their profile over the years.

I am happy to adopt this as an epitaph:

“RIP Brannigans – I loved how your roast beef and mustard was an assault course on my mouth” was a homage. The food critic Tom Parker Bowles said the news brought “a tear to my eye. Just as those glorious crisps did with their mighty mustard blast.”

🔥

LOG

The beef and mustard were good for clearing your sinuses. I think the problem was that they were the equivalent of a shot of tequila rather than a session ale.