• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Football Club houses...The Grecians had a few near to St Thomas High School(West Exe) Shelley Close/Rexona Close area.
John Newman lived in one of them when he was manager.
Lammie Robertson lived in Ide Lane which is close to
where Fred lived...A colony of pro footballers in the area.
Did the Club own those properties ?

Oldsmobile-88

Did the Club own those properties ?
Yes....Unfortunately sold off a long time ago.

Alistair20000

Yes....Unfortunately sold off a long time ago.
Thanks for the info.

Yes a pity. Wonder if the proceeds were spent wisely. Fear I know the answer to that one.

fred binneys head

Do you recall the old Torex Hire property Fred ? I expect you had moved away by the time I bought that property in 1991
Ha ha, I moved away from Exeter in 1977! I don’t remember much from when I lived there as I was only 4 when I left. I can remember the entrance to the nursery, the playground down the road with the metal horse and a little alley near our house, but not much else. It was a long time ago.

I’ve got lots of memories of Exeter from visits after I’d left (I’ve visited at least once a year pretty much every year of my life, for holidays and then football, most years several times), but not many from when I was very little.

I was born a mile away from St James Park and it keeps drawing me back down, thankfully 👍

Oldsmobile-88

Yes a pity. Wonder if the proceeds were spent wisely. Fear I know the answer to that one.
Ha...I think they were sold off in the late 1970s.
Too tempting a asset to sell even though they were collecting rent/income on the property’s.

Amazing thinking back now that the club owned the freehold of the ground plus a few properties around the city not that long ago.

I remember a supporter(unfortunately his name escapes me now,but he was well known)left his house to the football club in his will in the early 1990s.
He had no living relatives I seem to recall.

Malcs do you remember that ?

Colesman Ballz

Thanks for the info.

I think it was a bit of a "fire sale" to pay off pressing debts. The property left by the fan that Olds mentioned went the same way iirc.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
CWT. I remember sacks of animal feed being half a hundredweight and difficult to do anything with as a young child.

Tim Long

CWT. I remember sacks of animal feed being half a hundredweight and difficult to do anything with as a young child.
Are you sure it wasn't firkins ? Sounds too firkin big to me.

Oldsmobile-88

A few of the ECC car parks still display signs saying no vehicles over 30 CWT(1.5 tons)
That regulation was from a era before SUVs & 4x4 vehicles were about...In fact most medium sized cars are over that weight these days.

STURTZ

Ha...I think they were sold off in the late 1970s.
Too tempting a asset to sell even though they were collecting rent/income on the property’s.

Amazing thinking back now that the club owned the freehold of the ground plus a few properties around the city not that long ago.

I remember a supporter(unfortunately his name escapes me now,but he was well known)left his house to the football club in his will in the early 1990s.
He had no living relatives I seem to recall.

Malcs do you remember that ?
That was Slim, ex cowshed choir I think.