• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Legohead

Banned
Who was the tight git that gave you 38p...?
It was all just chucked into a pot and counted at the end. When I think about it some people got away with exploiting child labour. I remember spending most of the day clearing some blokes garden and he gave me a quid!

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do just about remember those Commando comics. I too remember looking forward to going to the newsagents in the 80's for the Beano / Dandy (sure there was another one I used to get - Beezer? Is that one?) anyway, also Shoot magazine and then NME and Melody Maker in the mid to later 80's. Happy days.
Used to get the Beano delivered weekly until my dad flipped when the price went up from 2p to 3p and cancelled our order 😶

Alistair20000

Used to get the Beano delivered weekly until my dad flipped when the price went up from 2p to 3p and cancelled our order 😶
Scottish ancestry then ?

Oldsmobile-88

Seagulls around the city centre.
With all of the takeaways shut the easy pickings from lazy gits who can’t be bothered to use a bin have all dried up.

I have never seen Exeter as tidy.The same in Plymouth too,when I went down the equivalent of Sidwell St in the grey city,Cornwall St.

elginCity

Mounds of bog roll in the back of the net.

Red Devon

Seagulls around the city centre.
With all of the takeaways shut the easy pickings from lazy gits who can’t be bothered to use a bin have all dried up.

I have never seen Exeter as tidy.The same in Plymouth too,when I went down the equivalent of Sidwell St in the grey city,Cornwall St.
Seagulls are sitting with their young at the moment so have gone a little quiet tfft...although I did get one completely ruin the dawn chorus the other day at 4:45 in the morning.:(

Legohead

Banned
I actually today witnessed ducks social distancing whilst floating down the river! :LOL:

Oldsmobile-88

These electric fires..Very popular in the 1960s & 70s with the advent of Smokeless zones in built up areas.
Downside was they made the electric meter spin around & unless you laid out in front of the ‘bars’ you felt no heat.
Not much good in what seemed regular power cuts due to industrial disputes in the early 1970s.
EC03EBDA-941D-4220-A820-D1F1C9DB8DF9.jpeg

Legohead

Banned
These electric fires..Very popular in the 1960s & 70s with the advent of Smokeless zones in built up areas.
Downside was they made the electric meter spin around & unless you laid out in front of the ‘bars’ you felt no heat.
Not much good in what seemed regular power cuts due to industrial disputes in the early 1970s.
View attachment 2824
We had a fire like this in the 80s. The bars were slightly higher and I remember one night when I was a really young kid coming downstairs naked with a towel round me as I'd just been in the bath and not feeling very well.

The fire was on so I bent down in front of the fire and actually scorched my bare arse on the bars. I actually had scabs on my arse a week or so later that resembled the bar marks on the fire as it has burned its imprint into my fleshy buttocks.

Bloody painful.

Reactions: GJW

Colesman Ballz

Having just watched the clip of Grandstand's Football Results service from 1982, I had totally forgotten how the Pools Pts values were always listed alongside the results. Used to happen in all the papers too ! Then there were the summaries and forecasts of the "Dividend payout". I suppose that the Treble Chance became a household obsession allowing families to dream of wealth and riches, It etched football into the psyche of the Nation, along with other little annual family "flutter" on the Grand National !

The coming of the National Lottery, in the 90's quickly replaced the Pools as the premier "dream factory" ! :cry: