• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Players at the Snooker Tournaments with a alcoholic drink & a pack of fags on the table when sat down.

Steve Davis was ridiculed when he started his career for having Orange Juice on his table.

Canadian Bill Willbernek had about 6 pints per session to calm his nerves
Embassy sponsorship

DB9

Embassy sponsorship
Yep, The good old days of cigarette sponsorship in sport, Embassy, B&H in Snooker, Malboro, JPS in F1 and others.

Rosencrantz

Yep, The good old days of cigarette sponsorship in sport, Embassy, B&H in Snooker, Malboro, JPS in F1 and others.
Made for some classic liveries in F1. The JPS Lotus, Marlboro McLaren and Rothmans Williams were iconic looks.

dontpassback

Talking of snooker,when I was younger John street used to come and collect the Pearl assurance money from our house,I didn’t know he was a top snooker brief until my uncle told me,I would assume he has passed on but I am not sure

dontpassback

Brief should read ref

Oldsmobile-88

Talking of snooker,when I was younger John street used to come and collect the Pearl assurance money from our house,I didn’t know he was a top snooker brief until my uncle told me,I would assume he has passed on but I am not sure
Passed away about 10 years ago.
Worked in his house a few times.He lived near to St Thomas High School(West Exe)

dontpassback

Passed away about 10 years ago.
Worked in his house a few times.He lived near to St Thomas High School(West Exe)
Thanks I thought he might have passed on

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
In the late 70s I remember calling at John Street's house to collect tickets for a snooker evening featuring an elderly Fred Davis and a youthful Steve Davis. The event was held at a club near the old Speedway Garage. I'm glad I saw Fred Davis play. 50s/60s snooker star, John Pulman, was an Exeter man.

Alistair20000

I assume this is not the same John Street who acts as Returning Officer for our Trust elections.

Colesman Ballz

I assume this is not the same John Street who acts as Returning Officer for our Trust elections.
It would appear not. See Olds post #3736.