• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was at school, in England, from 1956-1959
Before me then

Oldsmobile-88

Continuing on the Butlins theme.
Unheated outdoor pools(I believe they have to be a minimum temperature these days)
Pic of me at the one in Minehead aged 10 or 11 Freezing waiting to jump in again.Child cruelty these days 😁😎🥶
EF17478A-C456-4E18-A682-830F333FFE35.jpeg

DB9

Continuing on the Butlins theme.
Unheated outdoor pools(I believe they have to be a minimum temperature these days)
Pic of me at the one in Minehead aged 10 or 11 Freezing waiting to jump in again.Child cruelty these days 😁😎🥶
View attachment 5795
Never fancied jumping off the monorail into pool as you were passing then Olds? 🙂

Spoonz Red E

Definitely do not recall that as an option.

Is it juice or squash to be watered down ?

Any idea of the years in which it was offered ?

If I was not offered this as a choice when it ought to have been, I think I need to rear up.
Definitely an option when I was at school - presumably needed asking for by doctor or parent as they were kept aside for particular pupils.
Straight from the bottle - no dilution needed.
As I recall it was orange juice rather than squash.

Oldsmobile-88

Never fancied jumping off the monorail into pool as you were passing then Olds? 🙂
I was daft enough to jump off the top board of the diving board there(another thing you do not see much at public pools) Which was close to the height of the Monorail 😁 Not a wise move,it hurt like heck when I hit the water 🤣
We had no fear at that age.

DB9

I was daft enough to jump off the top board of the diving board there(another thing you do not see much at public pools) Which was close to the height of the Monorail 😁 Not a wise move,it hurt like heck when I hit the water 🤣
Absolutely no fear at all that age, Now you wince dipping your toe into the pool!

iscalad

Before me then
Wasn't stopped until the free milk was stopped, I expect.

Spoonz Red E

Wasn't stopped until the free milk was stopped, I expect.
Milk snatching was bad enough - but that was taking the pith.

Colesman Ballz

Possibly the origin of the term "tombstoning" ? Note to self to enquire of the delectable Suzie Dent should I ever get the pleasure of her company ! 😍

Red Devon

Just seen a couple swallows out at Upton Pyne so that’s one to cross off the list.