• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
When Virgin opened their record store in Brighton in the early seventies, you not only had comfy headphones, but great big comfy floor cushions to sit on as well ! 🙂
Anyone else remember the old Left Bank in Paris At (now sadly long gone).
Used to spend hours in there...sometimes followed by a quick trip next door into Tandy to marvel at their state of the art TRS80 computer (with its massive 4 KILObit RAM) or some other wonder new gadget.

Grecian2K

Yep..I had a few classic cars that were not converted to Auto Choke & used to forget to set the Choke on cold mornings.Though my 1965 Olds Delta(that I had in the mid 2000s) did have a Auto Choke that was standard.
Yes. Sadly nowadays the ladies have nowhere to put their handbags except on the passenger seat.

Oldsmobile-88

Anyone else remember the old Left Bank in Paris At (now sadly long gone).
Used to spend hours in there...sometimes followed by a quick trip next door into Tandy to marvel at their state of the art TRS80 computer (with its massive 4 KILObit RAM) or some other wonder new gadget.
Yes...Bought the first 3 Stranglers albums in there.
There were a couple of ‘hippy chicks’ working in there iirc.
Tandy was where I purchased my 1st car radio cassette with auto reverse(very high tech !) The make was Realistic.It was top notch in 1979 & cost me £95 a fortune for me at the time when I was on £35 a week apprentice wages on SW Gas.
I fitted that radio cassette in numerous cars that I had over the next decade.

iscalad

There soon won't be a single British Coalmine left in operation, and we will have to import coal to provide for our steel plants, preserved railways, traction engines etc. Utter madness:mad: !

Oldsmobile-88

There soon won't be a single British Coalmine left in operation, and we will have to import coal to provide for our steel plants, preserved railways, traction engines etc. Utter madness:mad: !
Yep...As I mentioned on another thread.
The imported stuff is low grade & dirty compared to UK mined coal.

Grecian2K

Tandy was where I purchased my 1st car radio cassette with auto reverse(very high tech !) The make was Realistic.It was top notch in 1979 & cost me £95 a fortune for me at the time when I was on £35 a week apprentice wages on SW Gas.
I also once had a "Realistic" car radio cassette. Although sadly it was not the "top notch" jobbie but a much cheaper model that had a propensity for regularly chewing the tapes. In hindsight a false economy as I soon had to also buy a twin deck cassette recorder in order to make copies of the pristine originals just to be mangled in the car.

Grecian2K

Sadly it was the rush to import this cheap but inferior version that helped precipitate the demise of the home industry.
For example, the large open cast facilities in East Ayrshire were forced to be "mothballed" with the liquidation of Scottish Coal less than a decade ago due to the inability to compete on cost.

The situation was not helped by the rush by the electricity generators away from coal to imported gas.

There are still a few open cast workings in the UK but I believe these too have only a short remaining shelf life.

I know from past private correspondence that there is at least one EW regular with an encyclopaedic knowledge of this industry. Perhaps he might be persuaded to add to this subject?

DB9

Now that is something you don't see nowadays, People buying decent car hi-fi stuff and using it in every car they bought, Nowadays most cars come with a built in system that can only be used in that particular car.

IndoMike

Same with fish. Our fish are world-beaters, whereas French fish are dirty and smelly and shouldn't be allowed into the country.

IndoMike

Really got me thinking about what the first record was that I bought in the Left Bank....Good topic, Olds..