• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Things you dont see anymore

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
People making a fuss about Beaujolais Nouveau. Must have been a '80s / early '90s thing.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
People making a fuss about Beaujolais Nouveau. Must have been a '80s / early '90s thing.
Release date is 19th November. It'll be waiting in supermarket warehouses a few days earlier.

STURTZ

hIitch hikers! Must have hotched thousands of miles in the seventies and early eighties. Whilst at College in Leeds I always travelled from South Devon to Leeds and the reverse journey by courtesy of my thumb and the journey never took more than a day. Hitched to see City at Darlo once and also to Carlisle. Not only was it free it was fun, had all sorts of adventures and met some interesting people, o.k. so there were some weirdos but all in all it was a popular and well used means of transport, different times now mind.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
hIitch hikers! Must have hotched thousands of miles in the seventies and early eighties. Whilst at College in Leeds I always travelled from South Devon to Leeds and the reverse journey by courtesy of my thumb and the journey never took more than a day. Hitched to see City at Darlo once and also to Carlisle. Not only was it free it was fun, had all sorts of adventures and met some interesting people, o.k. so there were some weirdos but all in all it was a popular and well used means of transport, different times now mind.
I wouldn't pick up one now even though I was real happy when those brake lights went on and you knew you were getting a lift. Sorry hitch hikers.

Alistair20000

People used to pay a fortune to have the stuff flown in so they could be the first to drink the still fermenting over hyped rubbish.

Only tried it once. Did not like it. Never again.

Alistair20000

The buffet in restaurants. Following on from the good old coughed over, smoked over sweet trolley from years ago

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
The buffet in restaurants. Following on from the good old coughed over, smoked over sweet trolley from years ago
Maybe there is a silver lining to Covid. Buffets in UK generally a seething pit of salmonella.

Buffet breakfasts in European, Australian and South African hotels on the other hand, truly wonderous (with the exception of the French who still don't get the concept)

My childhood memories of sweet trollies was that the table before us always took the last piece of chocolate cake, leaving a choice of poached pears or something hideous involving banana. It's why I developed a love of cheese instead

Oldsmobile-88

Maybe there is a silver lining to Covid. Buffets in UK generally a seething pit of salmonella.

Buffet breakfasts in European, Australian and South African hotels on the other hand, truly wonderous (with the exception of the French who still don't get the concept)

My childhood memories of sweet trollies was that the table before us always took the last piece of chocolate cake, leaving a choice of poached pears or something hideous involving banana. It's why I developed a love of cheese instead
Plus masses of food waste from greedy gits overloading plates & not eating half of it.

I was always astounded when pubs attached to some Premier Inns had the evening buffets on Mon-Fri,watching the locals with their kids pile food high on plates,food they could not possibly eat.
It was like a frigging zoo.

I gave those places a swerve very quickly.
Thankfully the chain concerned stopped the buffets a couple of years ago.

LOG

Spontaneous human combustion.

Alistair20000

Plus masses of food waste from greedy gits overloading plates & not eating half of it.

I was always astounded when pubs attached to some Premier Inns had the evening buffets on Mon-Fri,watching the locals with their kids pile food high on plates,food they could not possibly eat.
It was like a frigging zoo.

I gave those places a swerve very quickly.
Thankfully the chain concerned stopped the buffets a couple of years ago.
I actually like the concept of the buffet. What’s joy is a Smorgasbord.

Take your point on the pile it on the plate and know you are going to waste it outcome though. Really does my head in.