• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The What Should We Do With the Watkins Money Thread

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Guys. Previous posts 4915 to 4917 under Ollie Watkins thread appear to indicate a solidarity payment IS due.
I hope they are right, but I don't think they are. Fingers crossed!

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Guys. Previous posts 4915 to 4917 under Ollie Watkins thread appear to indicate a solidarity payment IS due.
Those posts reference the UEFA/FIFA rules which state as a qualifier
"The provisions on solidarity contribution apply only in the event of a player transferring from a club affiliated to one association to another club affiliated to another association (i.e. international transfers). If the player transfers between two clubs affiliated to the same association, the solidarity contribution is not applicable unless the association concerned has included a clear clause in its own regulations, acknowledging the obligation to pay a solidarity contribution as a consequence of domestic transfers."

So the question is
"Is there such a clear clause in FA regulations?"

Grecian 1901

I could be wrong, but my understanding of the FIFA regulations covering solidarity payments is that they apply to "cross boarder" transfers only. If that is the case then we are not entitled to anything from Villa. Hope I am wrong here :)
Is this any use Martin, a little light reading (only had it for safeguarding and pfa safety net)

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
So it appears its just the 4m paid in instalments.

£1 per week for 4 million weeks

Fareham Grecian

We could spend a tiny proportion on sending malcs, dannyred and PeteUSA to a home for the terminally bitter?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sadly just found this https://www.lawinsport.com/topics/item/a-guide-to-training-compensation-and-solidarity-payments-in-football which appears to corroborate that Solidarity Payment NOT applicable.
Shame but Julian Tagg probably couldn't stand the additional stress of spending more !
UTC

Grecian68

Firstly, the trust should stop giving the club money every month. Then, the club can pay the trust back all (or some) of the huge anount they've "loaned" to the club over the years. Then, with the money in the trust coffers, The Trust can could look at supporting an infrastructure project or long term project for the club with it.

1) Training facility & academy upgrades
2) Ground upgrades

Also, look to re-employ a GK coach - seems wrong not to have one.
Not sure why clubs employ a goalkeeping coach, the goalkeeper has one job, to keep the ball out of the net, i can tell them that free of charge 😂

Spoonz Red E

Not sure why clubs employ a goalkeeping coach, the goalkeeper has one job, to keep the ball out of the net, i can tell them that free of charge 😂
Two jobs.
They sometimes have to pick the ball out of the net ;)

Alistair20000

Expect a loud rumble from Arizona when Pate reads the suggestion that a Gk coach is unnecessary :)

Oldsmobile-88

Expect a loud rumble from Arizona when Pate reads the suggestion that a Gk coach is unnecessary :)
That’s a shame,he was thinking of applying to top up his pension money.😎