• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The What Should We Do With the Watkins Money Thread

Nigel E

I would vote for the pitch being relaid with one of those fancy surfaces that better survives the average westcountry winter.

A key advantage is that it could be done in May/June 2021 - the current financial year. This income will lead to a profit at the end of the season, and at current rates of corporation tax, 19% of any profits will go to Rishi Sunak. (And yes, I am aware that tax can be reclaimed if there are losses in future years - but what if Ampadu is then sold?).

Basically any sensible capital investment that can be brought into the current season should be encouraged.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Will it be another undisclosed amount.
In that no one outside of the board or party to the original contract probably knows anything, it will be just speculation whether it is 15% 20% add 3.5% for this or what we will never know the true amount of the money, and whether we shall be getting a percentage of the potential extra £5m or not, or what the payment terms will be whether it will be in instalments or lump sum, you can bet your bottom dollar there will not be one succinct amount mentioned just speculation and in that no disclosed amount. Maybe in the clubs accounts in years to some we might find out. All we will know is that it is millions and how it will be spent will again be open to speculation

Soz Dannyboy but we will not know the true amount or when it is received but it is a lifeline for this season and beyond

budegrecian

& quite a few posters will agree with you. IMO if we sign another striker I don't think we'd get one who would be much better than Nicky Ajose. From what I've seen of him in pre season, he looks sharp, fit & his effort & attitude look to be just fine. I hope he can re-establish himself in the team.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
In that no one outside of the board or party to the original contract probably knows anything, it will be just speculation whether it is 15% 20% add 3.5% for this or what we will never know the true amount of the money, and whether we shall be getting a percentage of the potential extra £5m or not, or what the payment terms will be whether it will be in instalments or lump sum, you can bet your bottom dollar there will not be one succinct amount mentioned just speculation and in that no disclosed amount. Maybe in the clubs accounts in years to some we might find out. All we will know is that it is millions and how it will be spent will again be open to speculation

Soz Dannyboy but we will not know the true amount or when it is received but it is a lifeline for this season and beyond
Why shouldn't we know when the figures involved have been bandied about for weeks?

Could it be that the board are embarrassed that we've been suckered into a bad deal? Got to be a suspicion when figures are withheld. This is our club why can't we know how much we've got and can expect?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not saying whether we should we just won't know.

ANd how do you perceive this to be a bad deal?

Grecian_Matt

Free beers in the Centre Spot for a season...

IndoMike

1. Loan players only
2. No point forking out a lot of money on new players if they might only play a few games then spend their time sitting at home due to C-19 lockdowns which might well reappear this season
3. Make sure we have enough money in the bank to cover 12 months with little income
4. Don't spend any large amounts of money until there is a definitive vaccine for C-19
5. Improve the contracts of any of our youngsters who might be nicked by the vultures otherwise
6. Rehire Aaron Martin: he's played many more good games than bad. Better the devil you know
7. Invest in any quality improvement to the ground or C&F, including the pitch, next pre-season, but only if it's clear that fans can attend matches again.

STURTZ

Anyway assuming we have some money!

I controversially wouldn't like us to spend any of it on the squad until the Jan transfer moiney when I beleive that the Covid crisis will force many clubs to shed some bargain players. Apart from that it would give our own youngsters the chance to establish themselves as stars of the future.

Panic buying now isn't likely to work and has failed spectacularly in the recent past, bringing in crocked players in the hope that they get fit again rarely works and players out there on the transfer list are generally there for a reason. personally I'd look to the non leagues for young talent. Recently we've had Mackie and Wheeler,from lower leagues and the greatest strike force we've ever had(?) Beer came from southern league Weymouth and Kellow from south western league Falmouth.

I'd like us to follow Brentford's policy of having a cohesive financial strategy which looks long term and not just into the next couple of months, if we miss out on promotion this time then so what, at least we'll still be standing when other clubs are falling apart.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster

Sometimes Taggy gives an indication without giving the actual figure

edindevon

Rip up the CVA and pay off our old debts in full?