• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The What Should We Do With the Watkins Money Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Completely agree. Hopefully the positive start made by the youngsters will reduce the pressure from fans for the club to start splashing the cash on new players.
Yes. The way things are I would hate to think the progress of our young lads was blocked by new signings.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The more I think about it, the more I am happy for us to stick with what we have. It’s early days but the young lads look to be really promising and I’d rather they get the opportunity to improve rather than spend money on players less that are less talented, but more experienced.

Banksy

Agree wholeheartedly with the last two posts , the youngsters should be given their chance.Playing devil’s advocate though , do we need to strengthen the back a bit more?

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree wholeheartedly with the last two posts , the youngsters should be given their chance.Playing devil’s advocate though , do we need to strengthen the back a bit more?
It depends on how well Will Dean does long term. If he proves himself before the window closes then you can argue we have enough baring in mind we also have Dyer and Hartridge as back up.

I still think Taylor will add to the squad, though but we have to make sure they’re going to improve us.

Oldsmobile-88

Sensible in my opinion, If it was down to some then it would all be spent by now. This virus situation is so unpredictable and i can't see fans coming through the turnstiles for quite a while given what advice the Government has come out about their "Rule of Six" being prudent is the right thing to do.
Indeed.

The Ollie transfer cut & boost to the club coffers obviously was a relief to the many club staff at SJP.
I expect many could have been redundant once the furlough is over next month without the transfer of Ollie to Villa.

It’s often just the on field expenditure that is thought about,but a football club these days has a massive backup of people working behind the scenes.

DB9

Indeed.

The Ollie transfer cut & boost to the club coffers obviously was a relief to the many club staff at SJP.
I expect many could have been redundant once the furlough is over next month without the transfer of Ollie to Villa.

It’s often just the on field expenditure that is thought about,but a football club these days has a massive backup of people working behind the scenes.
As we've seen at Arsenal, 55 people being made redundant yet willing to pay one player a reportedly £350k pw. Non-footballing staff aren't paid much and i think unlike the footballing staff a lot of them don't mind an average or below average wage because they're most likely fans of the club. For me if someone offered me a job at ECFC that i applied for, As a fan be like a dream come true.

Oldsmobile-88

Excellent article from David Gribble.

budegrecian

Excellent article from David Gribble.
Yes, that really is an excellent & thoughtful article.
I agree with pretty much all of his views.