• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Slightly more on topic, but just as depressing:

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yes, Spanky. All of them.
I didn't know they had to pay to park.
Why?
It encourages the use of ‘green’ alternatives to get to the hospital..I believe staff can get a season ticket for the car park(at a cost of a few hundred quid) but it will not guarantee a parking spot.The whole of the RD&E car park is full to capacity all day every day
It needs a multi-storey car park to be honest,but that was never going to happen in the drive(no pun intended) by the City Council to reduce traffic.

Boyo

I take your point, but if we don't 'flatten the curve' as a matter of urgency the spread of the virus will very quickly exceed service provision.

I'm in a WhatsApp group with a load of consultants including one who heads up the Emergency Department at a major hospital in the North West. Asked yesterday what it was like, his response was: 'Remember Blackadder Goes Fourth?'. :-(
Indeed. I wasn't trying to undermine the severity of the situation, rather just provide some additional context. I want to be in a lock down situation. It's for the greater good.

IndoMike

It encourages the use of ‘green’ alternatives to get to the hospital..I believe staff can get a season ticket for the car park(at a cost of a few hundred quid) but it will not guarantee a parking spot.The whole of the RD&E car park is full to capacity all day every day
It needs a multi-storey car park to be honest,but that was never going to happen in the drive(no pun intended) by the City Council to reduce traffic.
Thanks for the info, Olds.
I guess on a daytime shift it could be argued that the staff can get to the hospital using public transport, but coming home after dark on a bus doesn't seem a good idea.

A subterranean car park might be an idea.

Somehow it just doesn't seem right that doctors, nurses and other hospital staff have to pay to park and are not even guaranteed a space.

Legohead

Banned
Quite. And unless we flatten the curve pronto, in a week or two's time there will be people like the Irish footballer who won't recover because there won't be a hospital bed, less still a ventilator, for them.

That's the worry. It's one worry not being able to breathe but another not being able to get treatment once you get to the hospital because there aren't enough doctors / ventilators / beds etc. Anyone know what the situation is with the manufacture of more ventilators?

My partner is shopping in Rotherham Morrisons for her 80 year old mum and she said the queue of motorists at the drive through at McDonalds is a mile long causing road congestion. It's shutting tonight at 8pm and people can't survive without having a last McDonalds apparently. Absolutely ludicrous.

We need to do an Italy lockdown I think because too many people are morons i'm afraid.

Oldsmobile-88

Somehow it just doesn't seem right that doctors, nurses and other hospital staff have to pay to park and are not even guaranteed a space.
I stand to be corrected,but I believe car parking spaces at any place of employment for employees are subject to some sort of charge from the local authority these days(over a certain number of places)
A few years ago a Surgeon got so stressed trying to find a spot & failing that he felt he was not in a fit state to do operations & cancelled his shift.
If he could not bag a spot,there was no chance for anyone else.

I remember when the company I used to work for moved to a out of town location.The first thing that was apparent was the lack of parking from what we were used to.We were told it was a condition of the planning consent & ongoing cost(which I assumed was some sort of parking tax)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's the worry. It's one worry not being able to breathe but another not being able to get treatment once you get to the hospital because there aren't enough doctors / ventilators / beds etc. Anyone know what the situation is with the manufacture of more ventilators?
This is a very pertinent question and one the PM has been very reluctant to address in his daily briefings. He was asked yesterday whether the UK had sufficient ventilators and suggested we had before going on to acknowledge more were needed. My understanding is that we have circa 5,000 ventilators and may well need as many as 20,000. To put this into some kind of perspective, apparently prior to all this there were two UK manufacturers, the most productive of which could produce 750 a year.

There was a story doing the rounds yesterday that there's a company working on a prototype who are hoping to be able to produce 1,000 a day; this figure has since been revised downwards to 100 a day. Even if that proves possible, I'd suggest the answer to your question is 'not great'.

Oldsmobile-88

My partner is shopping in Rotherham Morrisons for her 80 year old mum and she said the queue of motorists at the drive through at McDonalds is a mile long causing road congestion. It's shutting tonight at 8pm and people can't survive without having a last McDonalds apparently. Absolutely ludicrous.
Indicative of the take away society these days..There should be a bit less rubbish blowing down High Streets now & dumped at curb sides..Every cloud..

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Thanks for the info, Olds.
I guess on a daytime shift it could be argued that the staff can get to the hospital using public transport, but coming home after dark on a bus doesn't seem a good idea.

A subterranean car park might be an idea.

Take Magda, for instance, Mike...

She works at Musgrove, and we live about 20 minutes away, by car. She does 12 1/2 hour shifts, either 7am till 7.30 pm, or nights 7-7.30. There aint no public transport to get her there at those times, unless she wants to leave home a good hour or more before she is due to start. It's also likely to lengthen her day at the arse end.

Imagine two or three days/nights in a row, of 14+ hours to, in and from that environment.

And the cost to park at Musgrove for 12 months? £440. I shit you not.

She earns £17k before tax.

IndoMike

We need to do an Italy lockdown I think because too many people are morons i'm afraid.
We have to remember that this a world-wide crisis and the demand for any corona-related product is huge. The ones that pay big bucks will get hold of them.
And then in many counties there are "priority" candidates : I wouldn't be at all surprised if many big companies around the world are acquiring ventilators etc for their essential staff, for example, just in case.
But, it's no secret that I think Hancock is a dimwit : always promising but little action. Why didn't he start to sort out these problems at least 2 months ago?
He's a total jerk and full of shyte. He should be fired, but he won't be, of course.