• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't feel there is a great sense of panic, hostility or febrility. I think governments are just taking precautions incrementally in line with the spread of the disease.
Regarding economies, the fact is that China has become the motor of the world's economy, so the shutting down of most of the country obviously has a huge impact on trade and the supply chain.
Yes, what is the balance? Just keep on as we were, but make sure we wash our hands regularly? Self isolation only? Shut down cities and regions as in Italy? I really don't know.
Trump of course is acting in his usual childish and petulant manner, blaming the Schengen countries for exporting the virus to the US and banning passenger airlines. A lot of airlines are going to get deeper in debt
A lot of airlines will go 'tits up'...Norwegian will go first probably, followed by a raft of Asian airlines, unless they get massive State aid....The balance is, as you say, difficult to gauge as we don't know the end game, but perspective is still a useful guide. 14,000 people have died in this regular flu season with 200,000 infected...Coronavirus my well turn out to be more deadly than this, but at the moment it isn't.

IndoMike

A lot of airlines will go 'tits up'...Norwegian will go first probably, followed by a raft of Asian airlines, unless they get massive State aid....The balance is, as you say, difficult to gauge as we don't know the end game, but perspective is still a useful guide. 14,000 people have died in this regular flu season with 200,000 infected...Coronavirus my well turn out to be more deadly than this, but at the moment it isn't.
Lufthansa is taking big hits, too. Apparently with the Trump ban added to their other losses they are going to lose 75% of their business

DB9

The thing is only idiots will believe the fake news and "alarming reporting". Who cares what idiots think?
We are of an age where Social Media is not our thing, Unfortunately the younger generation live off it and believe a lot on it

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
UEFA calling a conference call of it's member associations for next Tuesday. I would have thought earlier might be a good idea

Should we wait for the government to advise on large gatherings, or should the EFL wait until the Premier league make a decision and follow suit.

Plans are already in place for Saturday's game. Food and beer ordered, staff organised, fans have booked trains and maybe hotels. The sooner we all know the better. What advice about travelling, can we still go to Exeter on Saturday?

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Astonishing is one way to describe it. Reckless is another, as Scientists contradict what’s been claimed by Government today. St Paddys Day parades cancelled in Dublin and Belfast yet thousands of your fellow countrymen freely congregate in Cheltenham instead, and then go home. Madness.
To much money involved and the clout bookmakers have . They were never going to cancel it .

Andy Holloway

Playing behind closed doors hardly worked last night for the Paris St Germain game against Dortmund, the PSG fans just congregated outside the ground instead! not so many possibly but......

Grecian_Matt

The problem is Matt that nobody can guarantee if this virus is done and dusted by June.
I know, but they should at least make an annoucement soon.
Either UEFA or FA should state like Italy and Holland, all football matches will be suspended till April with another review at the end of the month.
People are panacking, but would rather football was suspended than matches being played behind closed doors - Would also gives us some time to hopefully dry the pitch and get it sorted a bit.

Australian GP is cancelled. (not yet - but will be)
ATP Tour is suspended till end of April.

IndoMike

I know, but they should at least make an annoucement soon.
Either UEFA or FA should state like Italy and Holland, all football matches will be suspended till April with another review at the end of the month.
People are panacking, but would rather football was suspended than matches being played behind closed doors - Would also gives us some time to hopefully dry the pitch and get it sorted a bit.

Australian GP is cancelled. (not yet - but will be)
ATP Tour is suspended till end of April.
I guess the authorities could say that sporting activities are suspended for a month, whereupon they will be played as normal or in an empty stadium.
There would be a lot of logistical problems with that and factors like training to be at peak performance. The back end of a delay might cause problems for the EUROS.
Tbh, it's a total mess and too much for my brain to get around it.

Banksy

As players start to go down with the bug a lot of games will start to be cancelled because of depleted squads regardless of playing behind closed doors or not.
If it gets to that best to halt the leagues for six weeks and maybe start next season a month later.

Oldsmobile-88

As players start to go down with the bug a lot of games will start to be cancelled because of depleted squads regardless of playing behind closed doors or not.
If it gets to that best to halt the leagues for six weeks and maybe start next season a month later.
I was not about for the 1962/63 season & that bitter winter but I have read that some teams did not play for 6 weeks & the season finished in June.