• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Arthur Davey

Docks were a soothing remedy for stinging nettles. Allegedly. I think it was spitting on them before wiping the stung area that brought the soothing.
Yep, us used to do that when us wuz kids.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Docks were a soothing remedy for stinging nettles. Allegedly. I think it was spitting on them before wiping the stung area that brought the soothing.
We used them, too. Can't remember if they worked or not.

Spoonz Red E

Of course, anyone who is anybody uses a bidet, considerably reducing the need for toilet paper.
When you wash your hands sing 'Happy bidet' twice.

jrg333

All a premature fuss in my opinion. 17 people in the uk have it currently.

I think we all need to calm down, If you read into how it is transmitted, people need to abide by basic cleanliness and hygiene principals (hand washing, sneezing into a hankerchief) - That will help.
Also, a healthy individual should not have any more servere effects than the Flu. Certainly, those with predisposed medical conditions should proceed with caution - as they should with the Flu, which kills more people.
2 days old mind, numbers may have tweeked a smidgeon since then. I shall panic when there is something to panic about, untill such a time, let use comin sense.
Wondering whether @AndrewP and @Alistair20000 still stick by their view that Corona is less serious and less deadly than the flu?

More than 10,000 confirmed cases in Italy alone, now. And 36% of the first 1000 diagnosed have died. Do @AndrewP and @Alistair20000 still think that, in hindsight, telling people not to worry and that it's like a milder version of the flu was helpful or even remotely sensible? I certainly hope that you didn't share your wisdom with any elderly relatives, for example.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Wondering whether @AndrewP and @Alistair20000 still stick by their view that Corona is less serious and less deadly than the flu?

More than 10,000 confirmed cases in Italy alone, now. And 36% of the first 1000 diagnosed have died. Do @AndrewP and @Alistair20000 still think that, in hindsight, telling people not to worry and that it's like a milder version of the flu was helpful or even remotely sensible? I certainly hope that you didn't share your wisdom with any elderly relatives, for example.
I do stand by my thoughts yes.. I have already stated that those with pre-desposed medical issues, are elderly or indeed are immunocompromised should proceed with utmost caution, indeed perhaps is where the focus should be in protecting. in reality though, for the majority of the population, if you're going to get it - you're going to get it and should suffer no lasting effects. and then there will be immunity.

I note the talk earlier on here re. the London underground etc. I need to be on it again tomorrow, not much i can do about that.... I think I'm relatively healthy, i can't say who else may or may not have it but we cannot live like hermits!. that will just delay it's passing - which it will...............

IndoMike

I do stand by my thoughts yes.. I have already stated that those with pre-desposed medical issues, are elderly or indeed are immunocompromised should proceed with utmost caution, indeed perhaps is where the focus should be in protecting. in reality though, for the majority of the population, if you're going to get it - you're going to get it and should suffer no lasting effects. and then there will be immunity.

I note the talk earlier on here re. the London underground etc. I need to be on it again tomorrow, not much i can do about that.... I think I'm relatively healthy, i can't say who else may or may not have it but we cannot live like hermits!. that will just delay it's passing - which it will...............
If you include the over 65, plus people under 65 with diabetes, heart disease, and other illnesses that attack the immune system , we're probably talking about more than 15m people who are vulnerable.
The problem isn't if you get the virus : the problem is if you pass it on and it reaches one of those 15 million.
I agree that this is not an easy problem to solve and that closing down every city (for example) is a huge step to take, but on the other hand this virus needs to be shown some respect, since we cannot be sure how it will develop, if it will.mutate, if it will return after the initial blast, and how many lives it will take.

thermopylai

If you include the over 65, plus people under 65 with diabetes, heart disease, and other illnesses that attack the immune system , we're probably talking about more than 15m people who are vulnerable.
The problem isn't if you get the virus : the problem is if you pass it on and it reaches one of those 15 million.
I agree that this is not an easy problem to solve and that closing down every city (for example) is a huge step to take, but on the other hand this virus needs to be shown some respect, since we cannot be sure how it will develop, if it will.mutate, if it will return after the initial blast, and how many lives it will take.
Exactly. The figures do make disturbing reading. Merkel warning that 70% of the population will contract it. If estimated the death rate of just over 1% (and I know there are other estimates both higher and lower), is any where near accurate, then the numbers start to really stack up.

andrew p long

Yes, the constant refrain that the young fit and healthy have nothing to fear is double edged. Telling us the only people likely to die are the minority who are older,have underlying health conditions and are currently unwell was not well received in this house by the person who is over 60, with a lifelong prescribed underlying health condition and who is unwell. As AndrewP points out one sensible course is for those people at risk to really reduce their interactions with others. As a result my two long trips to big meetings 100 plus miles away this week have been conducted by phone instead.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
We used them, too. Can't remember if they worked or not.
I used to live out in the wilds of Devon and they definitely used to work for me.

malcolms

Exactly. The figures do make disturbing reading. Merkel warning that 70% of the population will contract it. If estimated the death rate of just over 1% (and I know there are other estimates both higher and lower), is any where near accurate, then the numbers start to really stack up.
The reason people are panicking in the way they are is that this is the first global medical emergency of the social media age and sites like Worldometers and others are updated by the minute on who is catching it and who is dying from it around the world. This information is then passed on through Twitter, FB, Instagram, Reddit and other media in an instant..Merkel didn't say 70% will catch it, she said 70% could catch it (a subtle but important difference) As Mike said, we don't know where this will end, but the proliferation of stories, some true and some made up do not help to create a balanced response, it just leads to the ridiculous hoarding of things that are normally in plentiful supply.