• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
How quick has Bowman become in lockdown 😮
He's always had good pace for a target man. He's no cart horse.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I will echo that, I never want to see another Sean McCarthy play in the red and white stripes again !

Rosencrantz

Yeah I know, but the last time you saw a blur like that you just heard a "meep meep" and saw a befuddled coyote 🙂

Positive spin

With the inevitable financial cuts that will be needed the next few seasons will be the time that the club’s academy really shows its value.
Bring on the era of “Taylor’s toddlers”

DB9

With the inevitable financial cuts that will be needed the next few seasons will be the time that the club’s academy really shows its value.
Bring on the era of “Taylor’s toddlers”
A noble idea but a club bringing on enough academy players for a starting XI is near in impossible, Man U only found about five or six thirty years ago, No one else has since. At best we'll get one or two maybe a season but will have to be sold on to keep the coffers coming in.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
All tests are negative

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A noble idea but a club bringing on enough academy players for a starting XI is near in impossible, Man U only found about five or six thirty years ago, No one else has since. At best we'll get one or two maybe a season but will have to be sold on to keep the coffers coming in.
I think it’s possible to have enough academy players to represent at least half of a starting 11. Crewe regularly have 5+ academy players in their starting 11. We’ve already got Collins, Sparkes and Jay. I was hugely impressed with Kite, Dyer and Randall vs Pompey. I’d sooner see those players get given regular chances next season that stretch our budget beyond its limit.

DB9

I think it’s possible to have enough academy players to represent at least half of a starting 11. Crewe regularly have 5+ academy players in their starting 11. We’ve already got Collins, Sparkes and Jay. I was hugely impressed with Kite, Dyer and Randall vs Pompey. I’d sooner see those players get given regular chances next season that stretch our budget beyond its limit.
As long as the manager thinks they're up to it i'd agree but i would hate the thought of having to have the young lads in because we have no other options because them against seasoned L2 sluggers it wouldn't be nice. All fans i think would love a team made up of home grown talent but that is so hard to acheive.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As long as the manager thinks they're up to it i'd agree but i would hate the thought of having to have the young lads in because we have no other options because them against seasoned L2 sluggers it wouldn't be nice. All fans i think would love a team made up of home grown talent but that is so hard to acheive.
I think by the fact he used them for those cup games says he trusts them as being ready to be part of the match day squad.
Virtually every L2 club will need to put their trust in their academy more and more (other than Crawley who don’t have one), so we’re all in the same boat. It’s not as if there’s going to be loads of teams throwing money around next season with the exception of maybe Salford or someone like Mansfield.

So, with our young players having had some first team exposure they should be able to make a contribution. Plus we still have plenty of experienced players contracted next season so there will be a good blend. I think we will still be strong in L2. However, if we go up then we would have to find a way to strengthen certain areas to remain in L1

DB9

I think by the fact he used them for those cup games says he trusts them as being ready to be part of the match day squad.
Virtually every L2 club will need to put their trust in their academy more and more (other than Crawley who don’t have one), so we’re all in the same boat. It’s not as if there’s going to be loads of teams throwing money around next season with the exception of maybe Salford or someone like Mansfield.

So, with our young players having had some first team exposure they should be able to make a contribution. Plus we still have plenty of experienced players contracted next season so there will be a good blend. I think we will still be strong in L2. However, if we go up then we would have to find a way to strengthen certain areas to remain in L1
I think after all this virus clears, We're not just talking about the next season, This is going to affect football, Especially at our level for years and hoping we can find players from the academy in decent numbers able to make the leap to the first team is a huge ask, Not talking about the EFL trophy but week in week out in the league.